Usefulness of a Six Sigma Green Belt certification

J

jdm2008

Hello Everybody:

My question is about the use fullness of the Six Sigma Greenbelt to those without experience. Because of being laid off(and just graduating from college less than a year ago) I am not able to get the certification through the traditional route(project and coursework). I am employed however I will not be able to get the certification through my current employer(because I'm a contractor(temp).

My question is, is it worth it for me to get hte certification with no project component. Are most of the outside programs(online and others) just classroom and exam? If thats the case and there isn't a hands on exam, I'd rather just take the exam from ASQ rather than spend thousands on coursework. Also is there any online simulation type projects that can be found online. I'd be interested in completing those, obviously not as good as industry but most likely better than nothing

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Six Sigma Green Belt

Welcome to the Cove, jdm! :bigwave:

We have had a number of lively discussions about the relative value of Six Sigma certifications, including the basis of the cert issuer.

There are a large number of consultants who apparently will certify based on training and passing an exam - it appears not all require the project.

The value is in the eye of the beholder: the employer. I have read that GE, Motorola and Allied Signal are still the mosr respected certifiers. However, that doesn't necessarily count out the potential approval you would enjoy from going to the effort. It's just hard to predict who would take unknown certifiers seriously.

I hope this helps!

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Six Sigma Green Belt

Thanks! We do miss one from time to time.

M

Meshimo

Hello Everyone,

We live in an age where "branding" and "marketing" carry more appeal than skillsmanship. For the GB, my suggestion would be to first enroll in a credible private certifier, like Villanova University and obtain their "certificate of achievement" (for its "brand"), followed up by an ASQ certification. At the BB and MBB level...go straight for ASQ certification.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom