SMI (Solder Paste Inspection ) Inline Work Instruction (Procedure)

alonFAI

Involved In Discussions
Hi guys

My company is going to purchase New Inline SMI (solder paste inspection) machines and I need to write a procedure or work instruction for these machines. INCLUDING A PROCEDURE REGARDING COLLECT DATA FROM THESE MACHINES FOR CREATING SPC AND SO ON...
does anyone have a procedure he can send me, so I'll have something:thanx::bonk: to start work with?

thank you !!!
Alon

B

Bjourne

Re: SMI (SOLDER PATE INSPECTION ) INLINE WORK INSTRUCION/PROCEDURE

What are you trying to accomplish by doing solder paste inspection?

There are a number of 2D(which uses cameras) or 3D systems (lasers) that can do that but it will depend on what are your requirements and the parameters that will be a factor in what you want to accomplish. The 2D system will evaluate solder paste/PCB pad converge, the 3D system will evaluate coverage and solder paste volume. Some say that evaluating solder paste volume is the more robust method of process control.

Your cycle time will be affected and must also be considered unless you have the top of the line equipment that can perform post print inspection and other tasks simultaneously. Determining the quantity of the solder deposits to inspect and the method(either 2D or 3D) along with the critical process parameters then your good to go. As this is an inspection machine do perform your Gauge R & R studies to evaluate the capability of the inspection system to measure what must be measured.

I am sure the buy-off or pre-test qual of the machine has covered all the necessary parameters and control factors...you can use that as one of the elements as basis. From there you will get an idea of what are the critical parts/areas/details that need attention armed with the defects that you have with similar machines or process that you have. In absence of similar machine, the critical process parameters will do. Your control plan/FMEA should tell you that.

In addition you may require the machine vendor to provide you with some documents (on their end) that you/your process may need such as machinery/tool FMEA(that can start you up with a control pan for the particular machine --though your customer may not need that --just mentioning as we are working out one at the moment), PM requirements, Spare/Replacement parts as well as accredited vendors, safety procedure, environmental control for the machine etc. You can also get some very good info on your polymer supplier from which you will get you solder paste. Material data sheets from them (like viscosity considerations, and the like.

Do check out the links below as you may get some good info for what you need. Good luck :)

SMT SOLDER JOINT RELIABILITY/WORKMANSHIP ENVIRONMENTAL
TEST RESULTS CORRELATION

SMTA Publication (not free)

All solder pastes are not created equal

Activate your solderability testing program

Attention to details : combat common problems in the assembly process and in equipment selection

Journal of SMT Articles

SMT Solder Paste Printing (you can send emal to the author)

Implementing In-lne Solder Paste Inspection

Automatic Optical Inspection of Soldering

IPC Standards Reference Guide

Solder Paste Evaluation Screening Procedure

Elsmar Forum_MSA For Solder Paste Inspection Machines
-- You can ask Miner on this as he was the key person who helped jpxusked on that thread.

Solder Paste Analysis: Meeting New Standards

Process Control for Solder Paste Deposition

Enhancing yield with flux and solder paste process control

SOLDER PASTE DEPOSITION PROJECT REPORT

PROCESS CONTROL FOR SOLDER PASTE DEPOSITION(not free)

SPC_SMT(with FMEA samples etc)

Gauge Repeatability & Reproducibility Study for a 3-D Solder Paste Inspection System

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

alonFAI

Involved In Discussions

You are truely amazing sir. Thanks again for another super proffesional answer!!! :thumbup::)

B

Bjourne

You are truely amazing sir. Thanks again for another super proffesional answer!!! :thumbup::)

Glad I could help. Good luck :) Do encourage some of your engineer friends also to post here not only questions but also solutions or experiences so that others may also get some ideas please :) And maybe when your all set up and finished with your "dilemma" you can share it here together with some sample docs to spare for the members :) Just a thought. You never know..might be you who can help some newbie :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom