Which CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) to buy?

Z

z28tt

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a CMM, and trying to decide what to get. We're a typical aerospace job shop with small parts (from 1/8" to 5" in size), so maybe a vision system w/ probe is the way to go... Lot sizes are typically 50-500 pieces, and we sample if possible. Everything is programmed in Solidworks, so it's easy to get CAD models.

The measuring size of the CMM would be about 500-800mm in X and Y. Not concerned about Z, since all machines would be fine.
Not sure if I can get away with touch probe, or upgrade to scanning (leaning towards the latter).
Accuracy of the machines I'm looking at is 1.6-2.0 microns + L/whatever (doesn't affect my small parts typically).
I'd probably get an offline programming seat and probe rack (lots of internal grooves, so there would be a typical disc probe).
I'd like to gang parts for multiple setups, if a larger machine isn't too much more.

Considering:
Brown & Sharpe Global Performance (Sheffield Endeavor) with PC-DMIS CAD (or CAD++). Our sister company has PC-DMIS on a touch probe machine, so we could swap programs potentially.
Zeiss Contura G2 with RDS and Calypso software (I have plenty of experience with Zeiss/Calypso at my previous company).
Nikon LK V SL (accuracy is 1.1?!! Seems too good compared to others).
Mitutoyo CRYSTA Apex S with the SP25 head.

I'm leaning towards the B&S w/ PC-DMIS or Zeiss Contura G2 with Calypso, since the software seems the best of the group. I've spent plenty of hours with Zeiss tech support, though, but was always able to do what I need to do.

Cost for all seem to be in a similar range depending on options (60-120k USD). For such a large purchase that will be with us for years to go, I want to make the right choice with my eyes open. Thanks!

T

True Position

I personally like Zeiss with Calypso. I find the flexibility of the software very helpful in day to day work. The phone support is excellent on both the hardware and software side. If you get a machine with the scanning head, being able to take large numbers of points quickly and create form plots is also helpful.

If you already know Calypso I can't see wanting to change, be sure you spend some time with the other software first.

K

Kanagu

Dear friend,

I am also go with the above post. Because I had use Zeiss product in my both company looking very good. I had experienced in Contura G2 & Eclipse with Calypso software. Software is more user friendly. Zeiss will satisfy our need like training & service .

Have a look.

Regards kanagu

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Emmamartsolf

Hi, I am newer to here. I see a lot of experts here and tons of information.

I am in the CMM market right now. I need to buy one as well. I hae talked with Nikon for VMA-2520 and Mitutoyo OPTIV (n demonstration yet), I also talked with Starrett AV300+ (don't like it very much). I am thinking about Sharp and Brown.

So I need to know the problems they have if you know anything. I know I get money from top guy before I submit AR(money request). Thanks!:cool::tg:

Top Bottom