Measuring a round edge - Looking for a 20 degree radius gauge

D

dbulak

I am looking for a 20 degree radius gauge. No one seems to know what I am talking about. It would be measuring a round edge. Anyone have any ideas?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: radius gauge

I am looking for a 20 degree radius gauge. No one seems to know what I am talking about. It would be measuring a round edge. Anyone have any ideas?

What is a 20-degree radius? Radii are either of the inside or outside variety, and are usually measured in inches or millimeters.

D

dbulak

Here are the facts given to me. The thickness of the flat strip is .040 thick. The customer is requesting that the edges-top and bottom have a 20 degree radius on them. My question then becomes what size radius gauge would I need to use? Once I find this out, I could purchase one.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Here are the facts given to me. The thickness of the flat strip is .040 thick. The customer is requesting that the edges-top and bottom have a 20 degree radius on them. My question then becomes what size radius gauge would I need to use? Once I find this out, I could purchase one.

I'm mystified, having never heard of a radius being specified this way. Is there a drawing that shows this? It seems to me that the customer might be confusing a radius with a chamfer. They want the edge "broken" at 20 degrees, and they're calling it a radius, in other words.

D

dbulak

Yes, that is correct. They want the edges "broken" at 20 degrees. They use a comparator to measure the edges of the finished part. Iknow there is such a thing to measure this, but I am not sure what to ask for.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Given the thickness is 0.04 (inches I presume) then the 20 degree angle in and of itself is not that challenging except that the dimension is very small to begin with. Now you need to know the accuracy you need in arc seconds to make 20 degrees in such a small thickness.

The rest becomes easier after that.

Top Bottom