Customer Forms as external documents

P

Pitt1psu

I am not sure if this has been asked, but my customer has given me a form to fill out with production data. The form is rev controlled. I thought if I put the revision of the form in the work instruction that it would be controlled. But ISO9001 asks for distribution controlled. Do I need to number these forms and assure that they are all returned to document/record control?
I am afraid to do this because production people will throw away the forms when they get a spill, or tear, etc. and I will never have a true count returned to me.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I think you're good referencing the form in the work instruction. If/when the revision changes, update the work instruction, dispose of the old form and put the new form in its place. I don't think you'll need to do anything with the forms you have previously filled out as those are completed records.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Customer form is a document
It is an external controlled document
You are linking it in your work instruction, which is controlled....

Customer revise the form. So he sends you the revised form. (Customer responsibility)
You link it into your work instruction, revise and re-approve
Release the revised work instruction for use.

Do not touch his form.
Incorporate into your controlled documentation
This way, you are effectively controlling external documents and its distribution. Just use the form as instructed.

It is not a good practice to print bulk volumes of useable forms, as its control becomes a tough task when revised.

P

Pitt1psu

Then if we make multiple copies of the form, is that still distribution controlled?

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Then if we make multiple copies of the form, is that still distribution controlled?
I guess your customer has given you his form for you to make copies as and when needed for use. Use as and when needed. When ever you have to use, your system must provide you the current version what the customer has issued to you.
The status of the form changes completely upon data filled into it. It then becomes a record for you to control per your records control procedure, including sending back to customer if agreed upon.

Top Bottom