Extrusion Dies - Perishable Tooling?

QMMike

Involved In Discussions
Hello again fellow Cover's :)

In looking at PPAP requirements, when customer notification is required - have this thought for you......

Under "Examples of changing requiring notification" #2 - "Production from new or modified tools (except perishable tools), dies, molds patterns, ect. including additional or replacement tooling"

The definition for perishable tools as stated in the glossary is, "drill bits, cutters, inserts, ETC. used to produce a product which are consumed in the process"

My thought for this morning - however skewed it may seem......

We extrude rubber product, through the course of the extrusion process our extrusion tools (dies, tools, ECT.) wear - are consumed - in the production process......

The requirement does not state how long it takes for the tool to be consumed and under the definition of perishable tools - it leaves it with an "ect."....

I'll have to be careful how to state this, but when we take a "tool" out of production and put a new on in...... to re-PPAP, or not to re-PPAP? That is the question....

QMMike

Involved In Discussions
Re: Extrusion dies - perishable?

For the Thread Title - I should've stated, Extrusion Tools :)

D

db

Hello again fellow Cover's :)

Under "Examples of changing requiring notification" #2 - "Production from new or modified tools (except perishable tools), dies, molds patterns, ect. including additional or replacement tooling"

Using part of your own post...

Notice that dies and molds are included as reasons to re-PPAP. The clarification in the next column helps a little bit. But the bottom line is that changing a die can have a significance in the product. The Task Force wants to make sure that the new dies can perform.

So, to answer your question.... Yes, re-PPAP

QMMike

Involved In Discussions

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.... I've always re-PPAP'ed when we took a die/tool out of production and put a new one in, but.......

Doesn't it seem a bit grey? Doesn't it lend to your description of what a "perishable tool" is? Many of our customers call our extrusion dies, tools - which wear - are consumed - in the production process...

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource

Doesn't it seem a bit grey?

No expert here, but two cents anyway...

Yes, it seems that it could have been written much clearer. Looking at the purpose of the PPAP (making sure the stuff works in downstream processes) and the sheer cost of the PPAP makes me believe that the intent was to exclude single-use tools (perishable on first use).

Inserts, drill bits that are used only once, fugitive holders, etc. would be prohibitively expensive to rePPAP...you'd PPAP every part.

An extrusion die, however, wears...it is not consumed. Wordplay to be sure, but tool wear would lead me to ask my customer if they want the rePPAP. Is it worth the cost to them?

Top Bottom