Special Characteristic - IATF Definition

morteza

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all,

In clause 3.1, IATF provided the below definition for special characteristic:

special characteristic
classification of a product characteristic or manufacturing process parameter that can affect safety or compliance with regulations, fit, function, performance, requirements, or subsequent processing of product

I think adding the term "requirement" as item which can be affected should not be true. I think the right definition would be as follows:

special characteristic
classification of a product characteristic or manufacturing process parameter that can affect safety or compliance with regulations, fit, function and performance requirements, or subsequent processing of product.

The rationale behind my proposal is that an special characteristics can affect fit, function and performance requirements not on all requirements. Based on IATF definition all product characteristics would be special characteristics because affect product requirements.

So, are you agreed with me that the provided definition is not correct?

Thanks all

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
Re: Definition of a Special Characteristic - IATF

I wonder why they added "requirements". It's not in the TS16949 definition or the AIAG PPAP Fourth Edition definition.

M

malasuerte

A sim
Hi malasuerte

May you explain more why the "requirement" as an independent item in special characteristics definition is correct?

Thanks

A simple, tangible example is color. Color does not affect performance. Basically, not all requirements affect performance, but could be a special characteristic!

Top Bottom