APQP & C/P Manual, Pg33, Para 3 - Control Plans - Clarification please

M

mkbagwell

States: "...required at each phase of the process including receiving, in-process, out-going..."

Is this a directive "telling us to" have either seperate C/Ps for the receiving and shipping warehouse or to include them in the in-process C/Ps?

There seems to be some conflicting answers given on these forums concerning that topic. Thanks!

B

bgwiehle

mkbagwell said:
States: "...required at each phase of the process including receiving, in-process, out-going..."

Is this a directive "telling us to" have either separate C/Ps for the receiving and shipping warehouse or to include them in the in-process C/Ps?

There seems to be some conflicting answers given on these forums concerning that topic. Thanks!

The full reference is "...the Control Plan describes the actions that are required at each phase of the process [for quality planning, ie. APQP] including receiving, in-process, out-going, and periodic requirements to assure that all process outputs will be in a state of control."

[*] = my insertion based on the context of the whole 6.2 section. Bold to aid parsing.

The different control plan phases are prototype, pre-production and production. Within each phase, all manufacturing and inspection steps must be addressed in a control plan. (Usually an integrated document, but it doesnt have to be).

Hope this helps.

B.G. Wiehle

M

mkbagwell

Thanks, and I understand the full quote. I also understand the requirements for proto, pre & prod C/Ps.

My question was directed more at the warehousing parts of receiving & shipping. However, based on your reply, I can infer that if there is no manufacturing or inspection going on in the racks, then a C/P doesn't apply.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

MK,
Although I'm not certain I'm clear on your question - let me try to help anyway.....

I have product specific PFMEAs and Control Plans. They embrace all steps in the Process Flow from receipt of raw materials (including storage of those materials) through shipping of the finished product. If the materials can't be damaged while in storage, there is no entry for a Failure Mode in the PFMEA, and there is no entry for a Product/Process Characteristic in the Control Plan. In other words, there are just steps identified that have no Modes or Controls. Likewise with all storage steps in my Process Flow - including Finished Goods Inventory.

Does that help or am I way off base with what you are asking?

M

mkbagwell

Thanks, Bill. Yes, I think we are on the same page. It just doesn't seem to add value to have steps on a C/P that do not have checks or controls, just for the sake of having them, when the same steps are identified elsewhere (process flow, etc.). I appreciate the input. Thanks again.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

You're welcome.

My thoughts for the reasoning behind showing the "no controls" steps stem from the first PFMEA / Control Plan that I printed out and had all this "white space". It made the team perform a double check to help ensure we didn't miss anything at those steps.

Top Bottom