Type 1 Gauge (Gage) R&R Excel Template anyone?

W

wrekin

Does anyone have or know where I can get an Excel Type 1 Gauge R&R Template from?

I want to conduct a 1 x 1 x 50 study of a gauge, I'm only interested in gauge repeatability not reproducibility as in the normal 3 x 3 x 10 GRR's.

Appreciate if someone would post a file.

:D

S

statdoug

Re: Type 1 Gauge R&R Excel Template anyone?

Are you planning to measure 1 part 50 times? I would advise measuring several samples a few times each. A single sample measured many times, though the theoretical definition of repeatability, only represents a single point in the range of the measurements. More samples allows for an average error that represents the gage more accurately. If you do use one part measured 50 times, the calculations are pretty simple, but probably someone would have to through it together, because it is somewhat unconventional.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource

Does anyone have or know where I can get an Excel Type 1 Gauge R&R Template from?

I want to conduct a 1 x 1 x 50 study of a gauge, I'm only interested in gauge repeatability not reproducibility as in the normal 3 x 3 x 10 GRR's.

Appreciate if someone would post a file.

:D

Have you checked the "Post Attachment List" in the upper left corner to see if there are any templates? I am sure there would be.

W

wrekin

Hi Statdoug,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes as my original post stated I wish to conduct a 1 part 50 times GRR. This is a Type 1 study, and in my opinion is a conventional study, please advise why you think this is unconventional. This type of GRR should be the first conducted prior to the most common 3 x 3 x 10.

The reason for conducting a Type 1 GRR is to initially ‘prove out’ the functionality of the gauge and a target of <10% is set. If this target is achieved then the gauge would almost certainly pass the full 3 x 3 x 10 GRR. If it fails the Type 1 then the whole gauge concept requires a rethink / redesign.

You say the calculations for a Type 1 are pretty simple, one thing that is important to my boss is the P value (Anderson-Darling Normality Test), do you have something in place in MS Excel that I can modify to suit my needs?

Your valued input would be very gratefully received.

W

wrekin

Hi Coury,

Sorry could you direct me to the "Post Attachment List" that you mention, I cannot see this link.

S

statdoug

You definitely want only one appraiser, but as I mentioned before, using 1 part only looks at a very narrow part of the gage. For example, lets assume as one possible scenario, that your measurement system is slightly "chunky." This is a normal condition of variable data caused by the discrete scales we impose on continuous functions (i.e., our time readings are usually in seconds, but if we want, we can measure to nanoseconds or some other fraction, but sooner or later we settle at some increment. When we measure a single part, it is going to have a true value that is probably slightly larger or smaller than our nearest increment. If it is very close to an interval, it will give us a bunch of identical readings. A little further away and we may get 2/3 of the values as one reading, and the other third as the second closest increment. This is one example, but the same kind of problem holds true with other aspects of measuring a single part.

When we look at multiple parts, still only with a single appraiser, but representing a broader pool of possible part situations, we get a type 1 gage error that is less affected by idiosyncracies of the product.

As far as a P value goes, this does not exist in isolation. If you measure 1 part 50 times, you will have within part variation. What are you going to compare this to? Any value only has meaning in its context within other numbers.

G

GeorgieP

This is for a quick check, to acknowledge the fixture is fit for purpose, as there is a time restriction prior to movement of tools. Then a proper gauge R&R can be submitted (ANNOVA Method). Is there any way to obtain this doc?

:thanx:

W

wrekin

Hi GeorgieP,

I have developed an MS Excel Workbook that has been 'calibrated' against Minitab and I'm very glad to say is absolutely spot on.

I didn't quite understand some peoples posts on my thread, as a Type 1 GRR is not anything out of the ordinary, as I believe the posts are leading people to believe!

Type 1 studies are carried out as a 'first quick look see' at the gauges functionality. Once you're satisfied that its performing how you'd like it too, then you submit a 10x3x3 MSA GRR.

Would you like a copy of my MS Excel Workbook?

Wrekin

Top Bottom