How to write a Project Plan to Overhaul our QMS

E

elmwilliams

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can offer some ideas... our QMS is outdated and doesn't really delivery much ROI to the business... it barely has a pulse in many respects. I have many, many ideas to change this and am at the very beginning of putting together a proposal to manage this. What I am struggling with is how to format this...?? Do I try to make an uber 2 year project plan, or 1 operating plan with multiple projects underneath. An example of one of the smaller projects is moving our internal auditing process into a web-based system.

Any help or guidance is appreciated!

Regards,
Emma

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can offer some ideas... our QMS is outdated and doesn't really delivery much ROI to the business... it barely has a pulse in many respects. I have many, many ideas to change this and am at the very beginning of putting together a proposal to manage this. What I am struggling with is how to format this...?? Do I try to make an uber 2 year project plan, or 1 operating plan with multiple projects underneath. An example of one of the smaller projects is moving our internal auditing process into a web-based system.

Regards,
Emma

I would format it in the way that meets, and is usable by, the company culture. If a 2 year project plan means (within the company culture) "I can ignore this for 1 year and 10 month", then I would not use this method. Think about your company culture and base your decision on what works best for you and your company.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Management is always going to need to consider budget. How will you justify spending the time ($$)? You mention there's no ROI with the current QMS so how will you present ROI for your proposed investment?

Sounds like it's going to be a tough sell since it would appear that management currently has no investment (or interest) in the QMS. One approach is to organize your improvements by what will give the most impact with the least cost. They might approve a small project to give you the opportunity to prove (or hang??) yourself.

Like Michael said, your approach will depend on the company culture. Be sure to get in tune with what the thoughts of the management team are on the subject.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi All,

Regards,
Emma

Emma,

If it is an old style set of documents written around ISO 9001 then it is good to overhaul it.

Start by thinking of your organization as the system and understanding how that system converts the needs of customers into cash in the bank.

From this analysis of your organization's core process you will see the sequence and interaction of key processes including the processes for assessing risks and planning the fulfillment of requirements.

Then determine the processes that are essential to sustain and improve the core process including recruiting and training and problem solving.

The purchasing process may be part of your core process or a support process depending on your type of business.

By focusing on the actual processes that are essential to running the business you will be capturing the management system that can then be used and improved to fulfill business objectives.

Make as much of your management system web-based or at least electronic as you can.

Make sure the leaders own it and know how to explain it to the employees and to monitor its use and improvement. Rely more on leadership and less on audit.

Use less ISOeze and the present tense to bring your few vital documented procedures to life. Describe the management system for new employees in a one or two page quality manual.

Good luck,

John

drgnrider

Quite Involved in Discussions
Emma,

Deciding to overhaul your system, while probably a good idea, at this time since the "proposed" changes to ISO-9001 seem rather major, you might want to do a little research on these changes to see about starting to adjust your system accordingly. :read:

While I have not seen any of the draft documents, one of the main issues I hear is "risk-base analysis".

:2cents:

P

PaulJSmith

our QMS is outdated and doesn't really delivery much ROI to the business... it barely has a pulse in many respects.
Hi, Emma.

I'm curious about this; Is it your QMS that's not working for your company, or is it the documentation of that system that's "outdated?" (Or, is it both?)

Knowing the difference may help determine the best course of action.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I'm hoping someone can offer some ideas... our QMS is outdated and doesn't really delivery much ROI to the business...
If you want a "revolutionary" approach to quality, propose the elimination of the quality department. After all jaws are collected from the floor,
explain to top management that quality needs to be embedded in the organization's business processes. It will provide you the most ROI and accountability. But, accountability HAS to start with top management themselves.

Good luck.

P

PaulJSmith

If you want a "revolutionary" approach to quality, propose the elimination of the quality department. After all jaws are collected from the floor,
explain to top management that quality needs to be embedded in the organization's business processes. It will provide you the most ROI and accountability. But, accountability HAS to start with top management themselves.
That is possibly the best post I've ever read on The Cove.
Outstanding, Sidney!
:applause:

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource

Good luck.

I would do that in a heartbeat........if I didn't have my suspicions that the proposal would be met with chicanery or malevolance (like having an "evil leprechaun" for top management) and thus facilitate the end of my employment contract by eliminating my position.

I guess the success of it all comes down to what you plan to do around their pot o' gold....and how guileful you are in reaction to what they throw at you :D

Brian :rolleyes:

P

PaulJSmith

I have suggested to several people at several different employers that the best way to get me out of their hair is to correct the problems and make my position unnecessary. All these years later, I'm still gainfully employed in Quality.

Top Bottom