Is the stampede to ISO 9001:2000 about to start?

What is your current status concerning ISO 9001:2000?

• We will not transfer

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • We haven't started

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • We're working on it

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Done.....

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • NA, but I want to see the poll results

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
Is the stampede about to start?

I have posted this poll once before, earlier this year. I believe it's time for an update: What is your current situation concerning the transfer to ISO 9001:2000? The deadline is looming.

Current situation in Sweden:

Appr.4700 companies certified acc to ISO9001. Certifying bodies claim that appr. 30% of their customers have upgraded so far, and fear that they may not have the resources to take care of the stampede when it begins...

How about you?

We will not transfer
We have not started
We're working on it
Done it...

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
We have just completed our up-grade desk audit and are scheduled for the end of August by NSF.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
The May Quality Digest says that as of April 22, 2003 only 18% of companies in all of N. America have transitioned. An article in there blames the low transition rate on the poor economy. So, I suppose someone (lots of someones) must believe it will cost more than it is worth, or that other uses for those dollars will give more bang-for-the-buck.

C

Craig H.

Hi, all.

We finished in Feb. of this year.

I tend to agree with Mike, but I have not actually heard anyone say that they have made a decision to not make the transfer.

I do think, however, that because of the lack of resources there may be some who just won't get done in time. The next few months might be a very profitable time to be an auditor,

Craig

A

Aaron Lupo

Been done for almost 3 years now, well more accurately all the changes have been in draft form for about the past 3 years. We were just waiting for management to decide yeah we better do this. So our registration audit to 9K2K will be in September of this year.

L

Laura M

One client - last April - upgraded - 2 surveilance so far.
One client is QS - will prob go to ISO - being tier 3
2 others going for ISO - 2000 obviously - not previously registered.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Most of my consulting clients are new registrations, so they will be doing 9001:2000 or TS 16949:2002 and aren't really worried about the 12/15 deadline. People attending auditor and transition training seem to be a mix of new and old. Those with current certifications to the 1994 standard all seem to be planning an upgrade within the next 6~7 months for some reason. :confused: My feeling is that everyone is waiting for the last six months of 2003 and will be a part of the stampede. I plan to be very busy during that time of the year.

BTW an aerospace company I audited last month fired one of their suppliers who dropped their ISO 9001 quality system for financial reasons. They didn't see it as worth the effort. The customer didn't drop them because they lost their certification though -- they dropped them for a decline in product quality and lack of responsiveness. Hmmmmmm....

J

Jimmy Olson

Completed last October, one surveilance audit so far. Now on to more things.

A

Atul Khandekar

From last week's QualityInsider Survey:

Q:As the deadline looms for the ISO 9001:2000 transition, only about 20 percent of ISO 9000:1994-registered companies have completed the transition. The odds seem very good that many companies will lose their registration.

Why do you think the percentage is so small?

- Lack of interest by registered companies 45% (149)
- Poor economy 22.1% (73)
- Other 10.6% (35)
- The new standard is too different. 10% (34)
- Lack of promotion of the transition 8.2% (27)
- Insufficient time to make the transition 2.1% (7)
- Lack of auditors 1.8% (6)

Top Bottom