3P Production Preparation Process

H

Hugo Gon?alves

Hello everyone,

I have some doubts about this concept/tool. Only for process design or product development also? Could anyone indicate or supply some literature (books, articles, templates) about this? Can this tool be used to optimize workflows in "large" products were design, project and production are far away in terms of stream and communication?

Thanks,
H

W

wmarhel

I have some doubts about this concept/tool. Only for process design or product development also? Could anyone indicate or supply some literature (books, articles, templates) about this? Can this tool be used to optimize workflows in "large" products were design, project and production are far away in terms of stream and communication?

I've seen 3P described two ways: Product Preparation Process and Pre-Production Planning.

This is the least written about concept in the Toyota Production System. It is also perhaps the holy grail, in that it allows to them introduce superior products and processes right out of the gate when compared to the competition. I have actually googled over 700 returned results (talk about too much free time) on this topic with very little to show for the effort.

My understanding why this isn't such a widely discussed method is based on conversations with Andrew Dillon who did the original translations for Shigeo Shingo's books and acted as a translator for both Shingo and Ohno. He had stated that 3P wasn't widely taught given the level of discipline to make it work effectively. No training on this concept would take place until a company was well into their journey, typically five years or longer.

Some of these ideas behind 3P are pretty esoteric, but which are rooted in science, such as the idea of looking to nature for solutions. Think comparative physiology. Nature has already created solutions to specific problems, otherwise that particular organism would perish. The trick is how can those solutions be adopted into a product or process. Biomechanics is another source of information.

Every time I talk to Drew, I always ask him when he's going to write the book. As he spent alot of time with the creators of TPS, I suspect he's had access to some pretty interesting information.

Here's a few links for information on 3P:

Production Preparation.

Designing Processes to Fit Lean Manufacturing with the 16 Catch Phrases of 3P

How to Use 3P to Work Out Process Design Alternatives

The Top 5 Reasons for Using Production Preparation Process (3P)

Wayne

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello everyone,

Thanks,
H

Hello Hugo,

I looked around and found:

http://www.epa.gov/lean/thinking/threep.htm

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA387458.html

http://cpd.ogi.edu/LeanDesign.pdf

http://www.gembapantarei.com/2006/05/top_5_reasons_for_using_production_preparation_process_3p.html

Hope this helps for a start...

Stijloor.

H

Hugo Gon?alves

Thanks for your feedback. As Wayne said, 3P still remains somehow hidden.
I understand 3P as Production Preparation Process. Somehow I was in doubt if 3P could be linked to process management and workflow in a lean enviroment. The info you all gave me is very useful, I will try to dig more info and post it here.

Just a question, as Lean concepts/tools are known available and spread by Toyota's iniciative, what's the deal with 3P? Seems like the ghost in all those clear approaches.

Thanks,
H

W

wmarhel

Just a question, as Lean concepts/tools are known available and spread by Toyota's iniciative, what's the deal with 3P? Seems like the ghost in all those clear approaches.

Thanks,
H

I just came across this so I'd thought I'd respond. Hugo, would you give away a large advantage to the competition? When you go back through the interviews and writings from the pioneers of the Toyota Production System, they felt that people wouldn't get it, so it didn't matter.

This is no different than Deming talking to the leadership of American companies prior to him visiting Japan. No one in the U.S. really wanted to listen to what he had to say, so they selected to ignore him and ignore the possibility.

It is only recently that Toyota has been setting areas of the production operation off limits to outsiders. Their new paint process being one area. Toyota isn't as open as it once was. I've heard comments that to some degree Toyota feels the free ride is over with their information. If people organizations haven't gotten the message and don't see the value in their methods then....as the Japanese say, "shoganai". Roughly translated, "so be it", it is your choice. Think of the movie Karate Kid when Mr. Miyagi essential tells the boy that there is no "try", either do or don't do.

When I toured Toyota's Kentucky plant several years ago, the question was asked about why Toyota opens their doors to just anyone including the competition. The response was simply, "Because you won't do it." It was just made in a matter of fact manner that regardless of what we saw, we probably wouldn't try it anyway.

In order for 3P to be effective, it needs to have the support structure and systems in place and working. There isn't any point in going through the process only to realize that the great idea won't work as expected because of something in the way. See my previous comments in this thread.

Wayne

H

Hugo Gon?alves

Hello Wayne,

Thanks for your help and comments. Indeed I can relate to the Deming example you gave. As I'm going deeper in my search for knowledge about Lean, I believe that sometimes simple things are the most difficult ones to uinderstand and implement. Some days ago I was sharing some knowledge with job floor workers and although I spoke about methods and tools and techniques, I caught myself speaking more about the importance of people and their behaviour in the process rather the tools. As I understand for you statement, it is very difficult sometimes to realy listen and be prepared for new ideas and challenge their own ways. Lean is about it, challenge the present way of doing things. And to use this in 3P, a company must be deep commited and matured in a Lean implementation.

Best regards

Top Bottom