Records analysis
Product audits

A "process" to identify & implement continious improvements

A "process" to gather- analyize and maintain customer satisfaction information

A "process" to identify & control nocoformance costs

G

Greg Mack

I wouldn't bother with ALL processes...

Let's bring this on...There are some processes in our business that will not be 'measured' so to speak. We can always evaluate their effectiveness through the Corrective Action System.

The only processes we will be targeting will be the ones that add direct value to our clients and our system overall.

As for a definition of a process, basically anything that transforms an input into an output is a process. So while you will be measuring many of your processes, in fact, not EVERY process will be measured.

I feel that this is one of the few criteria in the Standard that people are taking to the extreme. Same as flow charts, which people feel that the Standard says "you must have flow charts". I have yet to come across this sentence and I am puzzled every time I read it.

Anyway, on with the posts....

L

Laura - 2003

Processes

Keep it simple....

One thing I have learnt about quality is to keep it simple.

The thinking I have picked up in Quality World over various editions is to have an overall business process.

For a service based company I think you can base this on the Introduction of new business, thereby incorporating, identifying customer needs at the beginning and finishing with meeting those needs.

If you put the process into a flow you can use this diagram to move back and forth using decision boxes and arrows, thereby incorporating verification points.

Sitting underneath the business process you have supporting processes which relate to each 'box' in the flow. These supporting processes describe how it's 'box' is implemented.

First you measure the supporting processes for effectiveness, if a flaw is noted then you implement c and p action. By monitoring and measuring the support processes first you can prevent any larger flaws in the main business process.:cool:

This is my intention for my company. ANy thoughts?:D

Also, what do we think about a continual improvement process? If it is based on PDCA, that would be compliant wouldn't it? Would it be sensible or a waste of time to have a continual improvement process? Am I right in thinking that it is a requirement to have a continual improvement process?

:confused: :confused:

M

M Greenaway

See section 8.0 of ISO9001:2000.

Also note that on the earlier drafts of the standard the PDCA cycle was shown on the process diagram of the standard, hence this was the early intent of the standard but is no longer explicitly stated.

G

Greg Mack

Continual Improvement process....

Hi Lau,

I don't believe that you need to have a formal 'process' for continual improvement at all.

You already have a Quality Policy which flow into Objectives. These are measured and analysed, then depending on the circumstances, a method is used for improvement.

Then you have Audit results, which will highlight areas that need attention. Corrective (or Preventive) Action is then taken.

Add that into the Management Review meetings and there you have your methods for continual improvement.

As there are sooooo many different methods, tools and techniques available for analyses, I wouldn't bother trying to document any certain way into a procedure.

Just leave it open and let the need dictate your actions.

I am sure you have more than ample documentation in your system that already covers continual improvement.

Just think, if you only had the bare essentials of 6 procedures, you wouldn't have one for continual improvement.

I hope this makes sense.

:D

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
I have to agree, your quality system should be one big continuous improvement tool, and everything (or anything) you do can support your objectives. Good Luck!

Top Bottom