Achieving "Total Quality" Section- Share your ideas

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
ASQ has awards for sections that meet deliverables on time and accomplish goals as per the Section Management Planning. There are 2 categories; Section Basics and Total Quality. Meeting the deliverables by deadline can earn Section Basic. On top of this if SMP goals are accomplished, section earns Total Quality.

As this might look simple I realized, it is not that easy to accomplish. Particularly when the section volunteer size is small. (In our case, it is mere 7% of the section strength).

Additional challenge is most of the deliverable deadlines are from May 31st to 1st Oct. This is the prime vacation period. Getting volunteers to commit during this period is not an easy task. Also we have to keep a close eye on all the committed objectives in SMP year round.We have to atleast meet 75% of the committed objectives.

Having said that,there are some sections in the US that consistently win Total Quality Award year after year. :applause: If I get an opportunity to talk to these folks, I would love to know their success story.

Anyone from Elsmar who belong to Total Quality Section? Please share your thoughts.

Regards,
Govind

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Until ASQ HQ agrees to release the FY 2006 Business Plan for all to see, I refuse to play. Why should a section have to write a Business Plan and share it with HQ, when HQ refuses to reciprocate?

Steve Prevette
ASQ Section 614 Chair

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
:topic: I'm amazed that Govind gets 7% volunteers. Most Sections don't even get 7% attendance at regular meetings at which volunteers are normally about 10% of the audience!

Help us out, Govind. Does ASQ publish the list of Total Quality Award winners on its web site for us members to see? If yes, can you provide the link?

Steve - playing the game should be a joint decision (or not) of the Section members. Merely sitting on the sidelines would not be as forceful in making the point as having every Section member write a hard copy letter to elected officials (not just email, which is so easily ignored or deleted) which laid out displeasure at HQ shortfalls.

R

RosieA

Govind, my section has achieved Total Quality for the past 3 years. We are a very small section, about 42 members. We keep our goals very reasonable and achieveable. I am lucky to have 5 very dedicated Board members.

For example, rather than try to meet every month, we commit to meet 4 times a year. We try to network with other professional groups, like ASM and APICS, on like topics, so we get a decent audience. We usually have a joint meeting with another nearby ASQ section. We aren't trying to hold conferences and seminars, because we don't have the money to do this. We also we happily merged with the AQP section back when ASQ acquired AQP. We were all going to each others meetings anyway. A lot of our success in staying together is simply the personal touch. We know most of our membership on a personal level, and have a history of helping each other out.

If we were a larger geographical area, I'm sure the stakes would be higher, but we've done pretty well for being the size we are.

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Wes Bucey said:
:topic: I'm amazed that Govind gets 7% volunteers. Most Sections don't even get 7% attendance at regular meetings at which volunteers are normally about 10% of the audience!.

Wes, our 7% data includes 4 officers,13 executives, Rest are 1 day volunteers like proctors, conference support etc. Our montly program attendance has been averaging 7% only. (I discussed this in my other thread in this sub topic).
This 7% monthly program attendance includes 30% officers and executives.

Wes Bucey said:
:topic:Help us out, Govind. Does ASQ publish the list of Total Quality Award winners on its web site for us members to see? If yes, can you provide the link?

I searched the ASQ.org with all possible key words. No success. But I found the Section Basic award list in Share point. See attached.
Total Quality list is not posted yet.
Regards,
Govind.

Attachments

• SMP Basics Sections (Level 1).doc
    53.5 KB · Views: 250

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
RosieA said:
Govind, my section has achieved Total Quality for the past 3 years. We are a very small section, about 42 members. We keep our goals very reasonable and achieveable. I am lucky to have 5 very dedicated Board members.

For example, rather than try to meet every month, we commit to meet 4 times a year. We try to network with other professional groups, like ASM and APICS, on like topics, so we get a decent audience. We usually have a joint meeting with another nearby ASQ section. We aren't trying to hold conferences and seminars, because we don't have the money to do this. We also we happily merged with the AQP section back when ASQ acquired AQP. We were all going to each others meetings anyway. A lot of our success in staying together is simply the personal touch. We know most of our membership on a personal level, and have a history of helping each other out.

If we were a larger geographical area, I'm sure the stakes would be higher, but we've done pretty well for being the size we are.

RosieA,
Congratulations on achieving this Total Quality recognition. Nice to know that your section is one big family! :applause:

We have section membership of 340. We use to have program meeting every month Sept to May. We saw declining attendance and we also incurred heavy loss every year running these programs. We have taken a new approach to offer few high quality programs from this year. We also work with other Quality organizations in the city to offer joint conference. 30% of our membership lives outside the city limit.

We are working on some objectives this year that are more realistic. Sustaining the membership (leave alone increasing) is a major challenge. :frust:

Regards,
Govind.

Top Bottom