ANSI Bar Code Validator MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis)

J

jriemer

Has anyone performed a MSA study for a bar code validator that checks ANSI barcode (A,B,C,D,F) compliance? If so, how was the stability, bias, linearity and GRR studies completed?

I appreciate your help in advance.

D

David DeLong

Re: MSA for bar code validators

Now a dumb question. Why would anyone want to perform an attribute gage study on this gage?

Gage studies, both variable and attribute, are applied to families of gauges shown in the control plan per TS 16949. Is this gauge shown in a control plan? I don't think so and I just would get into the hassle.

There are bigger fish to fry out there.

J

jriemer

The Barcode verifier is not currently on a control plan; however, one of our automotive customers is trying to make the case that it should be included.

They have a special requirement for barcode readability on carton labeling. Starting last year, this customer required that we use an external company validate that our carton labeling met these requirements. We purchased the barcode validator so that we don't have to pay the external company to validate carton labels every time there's a PN change etc.

T

Tool_Inspector

I myself have gone through this same problem at my workplace. When we were being evaluated for our TS certification our auditor made this an open item that would need fixed before we "passed the test".
We have established this plan to keep our TS auditors and customers happy,
1. Insuring yearly calibration by manufacturer of barcode validator
2. Validator should have come with a "master" barcode that you can run a diagnostic test once a month to insure its accuracy throughout the year.
3. MSA is an attribute study of good barcodes and known bad barcodes, it doesnt really differentiate between all the grades, just pass/fail.
I hope this helps, its my first post on these forums.

Top Bottom