Are ISO 9000 Registrations failing to grow?

Is the Growth of ISO 9001 Registrations a Problem?

• Not an issue at all.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Don't Know.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Don't know and don't care.

• Yes - But it doesn't affect me one way or the other.

• Yes - And it directly affects me positively.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yes - And it directly affects me negatively - I'm signing the petition.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What decline? It's not falling. This is a smoke screen.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Marc said:
Naw. Not me, Howard.

The figures that I meant were about participants from China in the forums, you once had figures for countries, my impression is that we have more participants from the far east

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Howard Atkins said:
The figures that I meant were about participants from China in the forums, you once had figures for countries, my impression is that we have more participants from the far east
I don't know how many here are from China, but I know quite a lot of folks who register are from China. As I understand it registrations are booming in China - but I have no data - only anecdotal 'evidence'.

Wes Bucey said:
Most important question: Is there value to knowing the answer?

No slam, here, Claes - just wondering if this isn't similar to asking the question about any proposed record in an organization:
"What's the value added of gathering and recording this metric?"
So - You're saying that companies choosing to 'drop out' is not a failure mode? I've known few organizations which do not want to know when their customers are abandoning them.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Marc said:
I don't know how many here are from China, but I know quite a lot of folks who register are from China. As I understand it registrations are booming in China - but I have no data - only anecdotal 'evidence'.
So - You're saying that companies choosing to 'drop out' is not a failure mode? I've known few organizations which do not want to know when their customers are abandoning them.
Re: Peoples Republic of China (Some list Taiwan as "China") did have incredibly large number of registrants to ISO9k2k. I don't have time to search this, but I recall a post with data through Sept 2003 which showed this.

Re: "Abandonment"
This is an interesting aspect of the issue. My memory of reports from recent "exit interviews" performed by nonprofits as to why their clients and sponsors were leaving (nonprofits ranging from fraternal organizations to churches to self-help groups) show a trend where respondents (given sufficiently unambiguous questions and plenty of essay space) overwhelmingly say THEY are the ones who feel "abandoned" by the organization.

In essence, they ask and answer the question, "What has this organization done for me lately?"

I wonder if similar answers would come from organizations which "abandon" ISO?

D

db

Abandoning ISO, or Abandoning Registration?

I've always been against mandated registrations. And I think that if I did not have a customer mandate, I probably would not go through with registration. Or, if the mandate was dropped, I would probably drop my registration.

In fact I have a couple of clients that have chosen compliance rather than registration. One of them attended a seminar about the benefits of ISO 9001. He felt it was good for his company, and developed a QMS. He figured if it appeared his company was not able to have enough discipline for conformance, then he would seek registration (forced descipline). So far, he has not had to do that.

My grandfather used to say that if something was worth doing, then no one should have to make you do it.

I

Ilias

John Seddon

Well, a very interesting thread. Here in the UK there has been some noise about ISO 9000 last year, but it seems to have gone quiet as to the transition to 2000. What I think the posts raise for me is the long term future for ISO as a system to improve management competence and ultimately really have an effect on industry.

A report has just come out in the UK where the abilities of management is still seen as poor. In addition manufacturing is still in decline. So what has ISO 9000 been able to contribute to improve the situation?

There is a talk by John Seddon on the 23rd of March in Aberdeen. This is a discussion with the Chairman of UKAS (the UK body governing accreditation), chaired by the Director General of the IQA (Institute of Quality Assurance). The discussion is about the pros and cons of quality certification in the wider context of quality improvement.

I have looked at John Seddon's website at www.lean-service.com and he has quite some to say about ISO and other types of standards. I have not read his book, The case against ISO 9000, but it gives a flavour of his stance.

I will try and get some feedback from the meeting, but I am not sure if I can go. Anyone on this list attending?

Ilias

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: ISO 9000 Registrations failing to grow?

Old poll. Poll is closed but the thread will remain open.

If anyone has any credible numbers (with source) I'm sure we'd all be happy to know. I read somewhere recently (can't remember off hand) that the strongest growth is in the service industries.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: ISO 9000 Registrations failing to grow?

If anyone has any credible numbers (with source) I'm sure we'd all be happy to know.
The ISO Survey is probably the best bet. Not worth CHF50, though. The abbreviated findings would be sufficient.

Read more...
I read somewhere recently (can't remember off hand) that the strongest growth is in the service industries.
Up to the end of December 2008, at least 982 832 ISO 9001 (2000 and 2008) certificates had been issued in 176 countries and economies. The 2008 total represents an increase of 31 346 (+3 %) over 2007, when the total was 951 486 in 175 countries and economies. Services have signicantly increased their share of certicates, with service providers accounting for 40 % of all ISO 9001 certificates compared to 32 % in 2007.

Last edited:
Top Bottom