AS9100 Clause 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Clarification wanted

Q

quality1

Can someone help clarify the following requirements of 8.3 e please?

"Dispositions of use-as-is or repair shall only by used after approval by an authorized rep of the organization responsible for design" - Straight forward here!

"The organization shall not use dispositions of use-as-is or repair, unless specifically authorized by the customer, if the nonconformity results in a departure from the contract requirements"

Who has precedent of these two requirements? I would guess the customer first or am I interpreting requirements wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product

"Dispositions of use-as-is or repair shall only by used after approval by an authorized rep of the organization responsible for design" - Straight forward here!

"The organization shall not use dispositions of use-as-is or repair, unless specifically authorized by the customer, if the nonconformity results in a departure from the contract requirements"

Who has precedent of these two requirements? I would guess the customer first or am I interpreting requirements wrong?

In my experience, the Customer has to authorize (give you the supplier) the authority of "Use as is" or "repair" disposition of Non-conforming material.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product

In my experience, the Customer has to authorize (give you the supplier) the authority of "Use as is" or "repair" disposition of Non-conforming material.

I don't know much about aerospace stuff, but in reading the two paragraphs cited by the OP, it seems like they're trying to account for the fact that the "organization responsible for design" might not be the customer of the organization that needs to disposition something.

F

fletch

The customer has to authorize its use. I require them to sign off on it. The mfr can not say "use as is"...

H

Hodgepodge

The customer only needs to get involved, "if the nonconformity results in a departure from the contract requirements."

If your company has design authority, your company design rep can authorize as-is or repair if the product still meets the contract requirements. Example: The contract may require 7,000 lbs of thrust min. at specific fuel efficiency level but your engine produces 7,500. The nonconformance you've discovered is a greater gap between the turbine blades and the shroud resulting in 7,200 lbs of thrust. All other things being equal, use as-is would be ok since it still meets the contract requirements.

Ex 2: The surface finish requirement for a given diameter is 8 Ra. You're getting a 6 Ra for all but the last .100" of length of the diameter which is a 12 Ra. You look at your design and see the stroke of the fuel pump piston doesn't travel the full length of the diameter and (most importantly) doesn't travel through the nonconforming area. Your design rep determines that assembly is the only time the mating pieces will move by the affected area and concludes the risk at assembly is null. Use as-is would be ok since your pump still meets contract requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

In English - if it's not yours or you do not own the design -- Don't repair it or tell people to use it. Give it back or

ask permission to either repair it, scrap it or use as is.

6-Sigma

The AS9100 standard in section 1.1 General states
"It is emphasized that the requirements specified in this standard are complementary (not an alternative) to contractual requirements". Only statutory and regulatory requirements take precedence over the requirements of the standard”

Top Bottom