AS9100 v. AS9120 and Contract Manufacturing

MJW66

Starting to get Involved
I have lots of experience with ISO 13485, but little to none in the aeronautical standards. My company is contemplating achieving certification to one of the aeronautical standards, but I'm not sure which one is most appropriate. One of our locations has ISO 9001 certification with a non-application to the design clause since we do not conduct design activities. I recognize that I started my discussion with ISO 13485, but this site has nothing to do with medical devices. Products at this site consist of one of two options, we distribute products (pass-through from raw material suppliers) and we also manufacture/fabricate to customer drawings some products where we do not design, but contract manufacture only. Is AS9120 appropriate or is AS9100 more appropriate? I would think if we had to go AS9100, can we take a non-application to design and development like we do with ISO 9001? Thanks in advance!

Randy

Super Moderator
Why are you venturing into aerospace standards? Is there a potential customer requirement?

MJW66

Starting to get Involved
Yes, business is directing it. More opportunity if we attain it. Also, customers are requesting.

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
We are AS9100 accredited and design is non apllicable for us as long as you can justify it you will be good same as 9001

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Products at this site consist of one . Is AS9120 appropriate or is AS9100 more appropriate? I would think if we had to go AS9100, can we take a non-application to design and development like we do with ISO 9001? Thanks in advance!
For the fabrication and production CM work, AS9120 is NOT an option. As for product design exclusion, yes, it can be claimed.

Top Bottom