Attribute GR&R (Gage R&R) Studies for Metal Stampers

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I appreciate the reminder that the MSA is a reference document and not necessisarily a bible.

According to the MSA book, it may be true. But some customers have over-ridden that statement by blindly mandating its contents in their CSR. You may need to sell you technique to a customer, if it deviates from the MSA. :frust:

G

George Holz

I recommend that you should verify every family of gage you use. Just doing the "critical" characteristics really puts all other characteristics at risk. You need to answer the question "Is this the right gage for the job?" using the gage verification technique you feel most satisfied with (AIAG, Wheeler, etc.)

You can also use experience based judgement for gage choice. Some parts have hundreds of dimensions and to do a gage R&R on each one is not always value added. But, yes, every gage does need to be verified.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

prototyper

The attribute gauge examples in the MSA manual are simple single attribute gauges, like plain plug gauges.

In metal stamping the attribute gauges check multiple attributes - form, trim, hole positions, hole sizes, etc.

In order to conduct studies as per the manual you would have to produce samples which were defective for every attribute checked. In real life this is not possible!

I have argued this and won with CB auditors and customers. If they try to argue that it is a requirement, I ask them to "Show me how to do it."

No one has been able to give me a reasonable solution so I don't do them. I won't go down the route of damaging panels so that they don't fit the gauge as there is no value added and the result is meaningless and it is purely paying lip service to an auditor.

As discussed in other posts, stick to the tool maintenance, measure first offs and last offs and forget MSA studies on these gauges.:2cents:

Top Bottom