Business Process Map - Kindly review my process mapping of my company

mazura

Registered Visitor
Hi,

I just joined a company which supply automotive parts to OEM. Currently the company was certified with QS9000. As everybody aware, QS9000 will be obsolete soon.
Now we are in the midst of upgrading our system to TS requirements.
Kindly review my process mapping which I did for my company. Not very sure correct or not, I try to use PDCA cycle which mentioned in the requirements.

Thnks.

Maz

Attachments

• MODEL OF PROCESS (QUALITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM).xls
    34 KB · Views: 1,254
C

ctblalock

looks very good to me. much clearer and easier to understand than your Dec'05 post. nevertheless, the important thing is that it have meaning to your organization and that your organization be able to explain it well. good job:agree1:

ctb

AndyN

Moved On
I'm not sure its your processes..........

that you've mapped, it's more like another way of showing the ISO 9001 requirements. Since you've not added any details of your processes ("Product Realization" is not what your management call it...........!), instead of 'maching, assembly, plating, construction,' etc.:yes:

So, I'm afraid that it might look good, but it isn't your company.........
:nope:
Andy

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
I liked your chart, mazura. It isn't all bad, and I like the way the boxes are shaped so that information can go in the bottom of them, like document numbers. That's why I think you can make a much better one.

Remember, identify business processes, then describe their sequence and interaction.

Sometimes I wonder if a PDCA chart is the best way to fulfill this requirement.

A machine shop might have a process of sales and order entry, a process of purchasing and planning, a process of manufacturing and inspection, a process of subcontracting, and a process of delivery and service. How does the typical PDCA chart encompass these in a way that is meaningful to a machine shop, in this case? How does the typical picture of a PDCA chart show that plan-do-check-act is accomplished for the distinct processes of any organization?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
mazura said:
Hi,

I just joined a company which supply automotive parts to OEM. Currently the company was certified with QS9000. As everybody aware, QS9000 will be obsolete soon.
Now we are in the midst of upgrading our system to TS requirements.
Kindly review my process mapping which I did for my company. Not very sure correct or not, I try to use PDCA cycle which mentioned in the requirements.

Thnks.

Maz

You used a template that resembles a PDCA cycle, but you haven't shown how processes interact (and intersect), which is important. For example, where is the interaction between "Control of Documents" and "Purchasing Process"? As you're showing it, they're disparate elements in different corners of the universe. What happens at the boundaries between processes?

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
Can you eliminate the word quality?

AndyN said:
that you've mapped, it's more like another way of showing the ISO 9001 requirements. Since you've not added any details of your processes ("Product Realization" is not what your management call it...........!), instead of 'maching, assembly, plating, construction,' etc.
AndyN said:
So, I'm afraid that it might look good, but it isn't your company.........
Andy

If you can manage it at all, try to get people to sit down and describe their business processes as suggested. I expect that there is a design group, a sales group, a manufacturing group as well as senior management. Get them to describe what they do every day. Good luck, a real eye opener if they are honest (95% fire fight, 5% create a new fire to fight tommorrow)

Once they are done, then and only then take a look at ISO. Build an x-ref of your business system to ISO requirements. There may be a few ISO requirements not covered, just tuck them into the process where they best fit.

What you have is what almost everyone has (me too), a quality system based on ISO requirements. This system will always exist outside of the real day to day business operations and will only impose costs, not be followed, create bitter quality folks, and never deliver any savings.

If you start the other way, you end up with a business system that will result in a cretain level of quality (exaclty the level that the top boss wants). And it can be shown to meet ISO requirements.

This may not be possible to achieve. Most of us are tasked to "get ISO". Your map will achieve that easily.

I agree with Andy - do the people in Product Realization really have that on their business cards? Oh, how I hate the word realization. Design puffed up to sound more impressive.

Sequence and interaction can be better shown by a swim lanes type of chart (an example is here somewhere). Departments across the top, processes along the side.

Good luck with it all.

Top Bottom