Calibration and Verification Processes

wlkrclark

Starting to get Involved
Hello dear friends,
I am responsible for calibration and verification processes in the institution where I work. I want to make specific advances in calibration and verification processes, can you help me please.
There are 1300 measuring instruments in the company.
The variety is around 50 (CMM, Caliper, Ph Meter, Hardness Tester etc.).
I send my reference materials for calibration.
The organization I work for does cold forming for automotive parts.
The precision of my processes is 0.00 digits.

1-)What criteria should be followed to send for calibration or verification.what criteria are required for calibration or verification of a measuring instrument.what should be the specific approach to say I will not send this product to calibration, I just want to verify.

2-) Do you have a calibration or verification procedure? Can you share?

3-)Is there any standard for the frequency of use for calibration frequency?
0-499 Usage Less
500-1499 Middle
1500-3500 Very
similar examples.

4-) Do I have to verify the reference materials.

5-)Does anyone do FMEA for calibration and verification processes? I would be very happy if you share, what kind of approach should be taken.

6-)Does anyone classify measuring instruments? What kind of method is required.
1st grade (0.001)
2,class(0,01)
3rd grade(0,1)

Ashland78

Quite Involved in Discussions
Is this for automotive? If so you would need ISO 17025 accredited calibration when outsourcing. I appreciate when people let it be known what accuracy is required but you need to have repeatability and reproducibility more or confidence in measurement results.

I understand some do usage times for calibration, but my recommendation is depending on environment used it doesn't matter. If the gage gets dropped or malfunctions calibration becomes void. I find things that have been on 12 month calibration and are found in tolerance 2 to 3 cycles, decrease calibration to 16M, if no issue found 2 to 3 cycles 20M. This will save a lot of money and resources.

I have over 20 years accredited calibration expertise. The last 2 years I have a great career at a big 3 auto company. I don't have the procedures anymore but if your scope and/or objective has written that frequency is based on prior calibration results and where used. Only a competent calibration manager can authorize decreasing or increasing calibration intervals.

I hope if you are owning calibration that your company invested in getting you the proper training and education. If you want to reach out by DM I can coach you some.

Top Bottom