Calibration SOP (warning LONG) - Seeking simple procedure

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Randy Stewart said:
...are you really going to calibrate employee owned tooling or is it feasible to validate them at a given period?...What I have done in the past was only to validate on an annual basis and to classify the tools as "pass", "fail" or "pass with exception"...It may be easier to just have a set of gauge blocks calibrated and check the tools on a schedule.
This was pretty much the set up we had over at the last place I worked. :agree1:

The difference between there and here is - there we were making prototype metal stampings and likely had dozens of extra blanks for any one job; here one scrapped part could cost thousands of dollars. Also, the metal stampings we did there had a lot more tolerance than we typically see for the products we make here.

One of our inspectors is the cal.tech and it takes him about 1-2 hours a week to stay on top of company owned and employee owned gages.

Last edited:
L

Louis Reimer

If you can I would recommend that you get your hands on ISO 10012 "Measurement Management system" designed for in-house calibration system. Mil-Std-45662A has been retired. If you are going for an ISO certification of your QMS the ISO 10012 will help you though this process.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Jim,

Louis is correct.....MIL-STD 45662A is long since dead and buried.....

The internationally accepted definition of traceability, which is a central key to calibration, includes an unbroken chain of comparisons to National or international standards, and stated uncertainty at each step.

The obvious question: Why is this important in your situation?

You mention that the "golden standards" will be outsourced. I strongly recommend an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited calibration laboratory for those items. In the U.S., there are currently four accrediting bodies whose laboratories are recognized and therefore accepted beyond the accrediting body itself. Thos ABs are: IAS, NVLAP, A2LA, and L-A-B.

For 9K, you will not need measurement uncertainty (for internal cal), but if your auditor (once you go for 9K) knows what s/he is doing, then MU (measurement uncertainty) or more precisely the lack of it will certainly raise questions, if not rate a corrective action.

What is the answer? For the items you send out, use only an accredited (to ISO/IEC 17025) laboratory, including having the logo and MU. For internal cal, base your procedures on the USN (NA 17-20 series) or USAF (T.O. 33K series) procedures and specifically reference them. That will avoid validation issues, as the military procedures are validated. Have a procedure (start with very basic one) for MU. Download software such as Uncertainty Calculator 3.2, available at no cost from the Agilent website, and is considered validated.....one of the simpler of these types of packages. Then work on developing your uncertainty.....but not just for MU.....use it as a process-mapping and process improvement tool.

Obviously, I am answering as a Metrologist and accreditation assessor. I realize that your answer may be much easier than I suggest.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
Nicely done

Jim Mitchell said:
....a simple excel spreadsheet would suffice.... I'm leaning towards a high level flowchart with a couple of paragraphs regarding scope, vendor qualifications, and accuracy requirements for the level 2 SOP....

Jim

Nice and simple...I like your approach...it will be easy to "explain and maintain" in a small compny.

No need to wish you good luck - success is assured with this approach.

M

mjones2

why 3 tiers?

Maybe I should read the rest of this thread before responding, but my first question is why 3 tiers. Since it is a small operation, I would do away with the formal quality manual, and just use your procedures as your quality manual.

Top Bottom