Closing in on my Diamond Jubilee

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I had a pleasant wake-up this morning:
"Hello Wes Bucey!

All of us at The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums would like to wish you a Happy Birthday!

Feliz Cumpleaños!
Maligayang kaarawan sa iyo!
Buon Compleanno!
Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!
Joyeux Anniversaire!
Happy Birthday!
वाढदिवसाच्या हार्दिक शुभेच्छा
Waadhdivasachya Haardik Shubhechha
Gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!
Grattis på födelsedagen
生日快樂
Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag
С Днем Рождения!
वाढदिवसाच्या हार्दिक शुभेच्छा
இனிய பிறந்த நாள் வாழ்த்துக்கள்
สุขสันต์วันเกิด
Feliz aniversário
יום הולדת שמח
qoSlIj DatIvjaj
생일축하합니다
Hauʻoli Lā Hānau

No matter how you say it, here's wishing you a Happy Birthday from your friends at the Elsmar Cove. You're an important part of our community and we hope your special day is fun, prosperous and relaxing.

We appreciate your visiting the Elsmar Cove and take this opportunity to wish you all the best!

Happy Birthday to you!"

Last year, I wrote:
Closing in on my Diamond Jubilee
Another year - still happy!

So, another year has passed and I've added more candles to my cake and notches to my belt. Oddly, an antique such as I still gets speaking gigs. I often wonder if they come just to see whether I can stay on my feet during a 45 minute keynote.

I'm grateful to the Cove, its administrators, and, especially, the regulars and visitors who keep reading and commenting on posts I've made over the last 13 years.

I find I've mellowed quite a bit in those 13 years. Some of my early posts were "strident." Reading back through the years, I can see the trend toward kindness and away from condescension. Part of that mellowness comes from having lost many friends and colleagues who had allowed frustration with boneheaded bosses and clueless coworkers to turn them into bitter old men and women who had few to mourn them when they died.

Years and years of consulting and advising organizations in many different industries has reinforced my Demingite thinking:
A System of Profound Knowledge can be a key factor in the success of an organization, but it is the absolutely essential building block for success as an individual. The individual who makes a continual effort to gain a holistic and profound knowledge about everything in his world fits Darwin's thesis that evolutionary success favors the most adaptable creatures, not the strongest or most beautiful.

I'm celebrating the day with new computers and smart phone and a birthday banquet at my favorite restaurant with family and friends. My next challenge: avoiding "smart phone addiction."

Next year will be my Diamond Jubilee. I'm planning a blast. If you find yourself (Cove friends) in my area (far north suburbs of Chicago), give me a shout out and we'll try to connect. This year, I'm celebrating all weekend. Tonight, a Sherlock Holmes - type play after a scrumptious dinner at my favorite French restaurant, then a nightcap at one of the many late night spots that have made our town a "Date Night Mecca" for the surrounding area. (Be sure to take in tonight's Harvest Moon if your weather permits.)

Saturday, a Storytelling Festival in Evanston, featuring some of my favorite touring Tellers. I have fellow tellers coming from other states to join me in hearing old and new tales from these masters of the Art of Storytelling.

Sunday, a relatively low key dinner with friends and family as we wind down after two days of frenetic activity.

For those of you near an Applebee's - all month they are offering "Dollaritas" (Margaritas for a dollar) - if you go, hoist one for me!

Links:

Storytelling: https://www.epl.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/EPL_StorytellingFest_Book2017 _FA_proof-1_edited.pdf

The play: Productions - KIRK PLAYERS

French restaurant: Cafe Pyrenees - Wine Dinners

Applebee's: Applebee's(R) Celebrates Neighborhood Appreciation Month with $1 'Dollaritas™' All of October - Sep 26, 2017

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Top Bottom