Competence Awareness and Training - ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2 d) - How to do

S

slack157

Clause 6.2.2 d) ensure that its personnel are aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives, and

I am wondering how do you guys do with this requirement for the awareness of personnel? We all know there can be orientation and on-job training, so please go as detail as possible.

KIDDO

Involved In Discussions
We have employee meetings to discuss productivity, scrap, customer complaints (if any) etc. We have employees sign in on a sign in sheet which is maintained by the Manager and includes the meeting content. We also post our objectives and actuals on our communication board so that employees can see how we're doing. Our auditor has not had any issues with this and we've maintained our registration for 5 years. Internal audit checklists used at each workstation also asks how they contribute to our objectives.

Hope this helps
KIDDO

M

Migre

Start at day 1 by including such detail within an induction.

If necessary, have something alluding to this in the role specification too.

Address on an ongoing basis by covering this within performance review meetings, annual appraisals or such-like (however this is addressed within your organisation).

S

samsung

Clause 6.2.2 d) ensure that its personnel are aware of the relevance and importance of their activities and how they contribute to the achievement of the quality objectives, and

I am wondering how do you guys do with this requirement for the awareness of personnel? We all know there can be orientation and on-job training, so please go as detail as possible.

Relevance of the activities - You can and should help people select the right things (activities) to perform and abstain from indulging in non/less value added activities. People should know which activities are going to contribute more to the achievement of organizational objectives/ customer satisfaction so that they can appropriately apportion their time and efforts to different kinds of tasks based their importance and relevance.

In the words of great Peter Drucker:
"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all."

People should not only be made aware of but sensitized with respect to the importance and impact of their activities on the customer satisfaction. And when they know how a failure or a nonconformity will upset the customer, they will certainly develop a different approach to what they had been doing. e.g. in a pharmaceutical company, if the operator packing a drug is aware of the fact that the drug he's going to pack would save someone's life, his attitude/ behaviour towards what he does will most likely be different but positive.

Few things you can add to the list of what you have already been doing:
1. Define clear objectives and make people aware of how their achievement is important for their own career growth
2. Make people aware of the consequences of failures and nonconformity and what they should do when deviations do occur.
3. Let people know the importance of everything however trivial they do and how it contributes to the success of the organization. This will help to create in them a sense of dignity in what they do.

But this isn't enough. What's more important is to see whether your efforts have really brought about some change in their behaviour and the way they take decisions and manage various tasks. If it hasn't, change the way you execute the mission.

D

Duke Okes

One good way to do it is to review relevant portions of process FMEAs with employees as part of their training.

S

samsung

One good way to do it is to review relevant portions of process FMEAs with employees as part of their training.

:agree1:Good suggestion. FMEA does help people understand the possible mode of nonconrmities and the measures they are expected to take to prevent them from happening.

J

Jason PCSwitches

This is what I do: (BTW - KIDDO is on the mark IMNSHO)

I ensure that all employee’s have documented training records associated with all aspects of their job descriptions/functions;

Each department has a "Skills Matrix" that lists who can/is qualified to do what;

A yearly refresher course is conducted with all employee’s to ensure they are "up-to-speed" with the latest and greatest;

New hires go through a brief & basic training course related to the standard, company SOP's and specific job functions (all which are documented).

The yearly training includes the company’s primary objectives. The measurements of those objectives are posted & the staff is made aware (during initial and refresher training) of how they "contribute" to the measurements and where to review the results.

So far this has not only been enough to satisfy 2nd & 3rd parties, it's also developed a since of understanding within the organization; thus resulting in everyone understanding that even though they may only deburr a part, their work truly matters & means something more than sitting in a chair next to a sand-belt for 9 hours (pride).

Morale has improved as well as productivity. We are actually starting to reward departments based on efficiency. That came from the top due to the miracle of executive management finally seeing the point in monitoring what I call "Ghost Costs".

Is all this necessarily required by the standard - absolutely not. It is however good business and I think that’s where a lot of organizations drop the ball; and I quote “lets just satisfy the requirements so we can get threw this & then we can get back to work.

This approach is dangerous and non-conductive to an environment of quality. The best advice I can give you is to look at the organization and define the best way to not only meet the requirements of the standard but also improve the output due to meeting those requirements. By doing so you, & those above you may be very surprised by the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

John Martinez

The best system I have seen and I have seen it in a few places is…
· Corporate decides on the business objectives.
· Plant Managers have to advise, in metrics, how they will support the business objectives.
· Process owners have to advise how they will support the Plant Managers objectives.
· Supervisors have to advise how they will support Process Owners Objectives.
· Individual Employees and Supervisors decide how individual employees will support the Supervisor’s objectives.
E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E’s objectives are measurable, tracked, and a bonus paid on exceeding goals.

When I audit these systems, employees can talk about objectives, where they stand, and what corrective actions are deployed to correct any deficiencies.

As they say in East Texas, "money talks, and :censor: walks."

And, yes, I have seen this deployed effectively in a one plant environment. :yes:

J

JaneB

So far this has not only been enough to satisfy 2nd & 3rd parties, it's also developed a sense of understanding within the organization; thus resulting in everyone understanding that even though they may only deburr a part, their work truly matters & means something more than sitting in a chair next to a sand-belt for 9 hours (pride).
And that's when it's really working - not just 'for the auditor'. Well done - great example. :applause:

S

slack157

you guys do give a lot of good suggestion, If i change a way to say, what would you not let it pass when you look the requirement as an auditor?
- It means what's the mimimum requirements we can do?Since it's universial for ISO9001, it's difficult to find a criterial to follow.But i think it does have some basic things.

Top Bottom