Corrective Action Sign-Off - Requirements and Responsibilities

O

Obstacle3

Quick question, is there any reason why a process owner and top manager has to physically sign-off on a corrective action?

Is emailing it to them enough? if they wish to dispute it, it can be discussed updated in necessary and re-emailed

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: Corrective action sign-off

In my own day-to-day work, e-mail evidence is satisfactory. If I want to add to the digital credibility, I am inclined to print out the e-mails, for which physical editing is difficult for most of us and so is widely acceptable among most of us.

The only possible reason I could think of for pursuing such a tactic is a high stakes corrective action in which a handwritten signature in ink alone suffices to legally "prove" responsible person(s) fulfilled the requirements.

When I think of "high stakes" I remember my work (it was a number of years ago) as a submarine repair inspector. In this work, documents detailing inspection of repairs were required to be hand written in blue or black ball-point pen ink and traceable to both their inspectors and mechanics via signatures and/or initials, and dates. Scribbles, blackouts and white outs were forbidden. These documents could be used as court evidence in case of mishap, and sometimes were.

These days e-mail can sometimes be admissible as evidence in legal proceedings, but I am not qualified to identify the extent of usefulness. Your lawyers should be able to advise you on this.

I hope this helps!

O

Obstacle3

Thanks for the response. In creating I found a bunch of similar threads, that didnt come up when I searched, that addressed my question and supported your POV.

Top Bottom