Could Fluke thermometer be used in SAT test in accordance to AMS 2750 ?

J

jrmp1

Hello everyone, I have been reading some useful information on these boards, but I'm still confused about the right equipment use for just the SAT test(not both SAT &TUS)

I was quoted by our calibration company for the fluke 724, which is great and can perform both tests, but I'm just looking to do SAT. A friend of ours mentioned they use the Fluke 54II, and we have the Fluke 51 available in house, if anything we would just need a connector and type j roll wire.

The fluke 54 and fluke 51 both meet the secondary standards and it says on ams2750E that "Field Test instruments meeting accuracy requirements of secondary standards may be used to calibrate SAT and TUS test instruments in the field"

So in conclusion, both the fluke54 and fluke51 can be used to calibrate SAT on the ovens right?

Thank you so much for taking time to read this, but this has been bugging me for a bit.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Hello everyone, I have been reading some useful information on these boards, but I'm still confused about the right equipment use for just the SAT test(not both SAT &TUS)

I was quoted by our calibration company for the fluke 724, which is great and can perform both tests, but I'm just looking to do SAT. A friend of ours mentioned they use the Fluke 54II, and we have the Fluke 51 available in house, if anything we would just need a connector and type j roll wire.

The fluke 54 and fluke 51 both meet the secondary standards and it says on ams2750E that "Field Test instruments meeting accuracy requirements of secondary standards may be used to calibrate SAT and TUS test instruments in the field"

So in conclusion, both the fluke54 and fluke51 can be used to calibrate SAT on the ovens right?

Thank you so much for taking time to read this, but this has been bugging me for a bit.

Hi jrmp1, welcome to the cove :bigwave:

Just to be sure, you meant Temperature Uniformity as TUS and Inspections of system accuracy as SAT, right ?

I am not an expert in that field but someone would definitely chip in with great responses :)

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
As long as the requirements of 3.2 are met, it should be fine: Calibrated, traceable, and have accuracy that exceeds the tolerance of the device you are verifying.

J

jrmp1

As long as the requirements of 3.2 are met, it should be fine: Calibrated, traceable, and have accuracy that exceeds the tolerance of the device you are verifying.

according to Table 3 in AMS2750:

The Calibration Accuracy must be on that range, but what is optimal, to exceed that range or to be below that range?

I think is below, so for example it says "?1 ?F (?0.6 ?C) or ?0.1% of reading, whichever isgreater" and my equipment says "?0.3 ?F(?0.2 ?C)" does this mean that my equipment is within range and will be able to be used to perform the System Accuracy Test on ovens?

BradM

Leader
Admin
There is a temperature specification of the meter and on the wire/ probe that will be used with the Fluke.

What is the published accuracy of the meter, and do you know what probe you're going to use?

J

jrmp1

The temperature specification on the fluke 51 flthermometer is: "Above -100?C J, K, T, E, and N-type: ?[0.05% + 0.3?C]" and "temperature: J type -210?C to 1200?C"

and the wire i was thinking of using omegas(dot)com's "AWG20 TT-J-20 Solid PFA Insulated 500?C"

Does the insulation on the probe matter besides the maximum temperature?
Im deciding on miniature flat pin T/C connector instead of a standard round pin connector

BradM

Leader
Admin
The temperature specification on the fluke 51 flthermometer is: "Above -100?C J, K, T, E, and N-type: ?[0.05% + 0.3?C]" and "temperature: J type -210?C to 1200?C"

and the wire i was thinking of using omegas(dot)com's "AWG20 TT-J-20 Solid PFA Insulated 500?C"

Does the insulation on the probe matter besides the maximum temperature?
Im deciding on miniature flat pin T/C connector instead of a standard round pin connector

Thanks for the information.

The insulation is of importance as it relates to temperature rating. You want to pick an insulation that matches your application. So for applications within the 100?F-300?F Teflon works really wll.

Why I ask about the wire is, whatever wire you connect to the Fluke 51 to measure with, it's tolerance has to be added to the Fluke 51.

So say your Fluke 51 is ?.4?C, the wire tolerance is say ?1.5. Then your total tolerance is like ?2?C.

J

jrmp1

Thanks Brad for the information.

Our ovens go up to 375F, so say i want a wire to resist up to 400F, is the PFA good enough for that? or should i go with glass or silica?

Also, i just checked the fluke and the wire that i would use:

the tolerance for the Fluke51 is ?.3?C, the wire tolerance is ?1.1(or 2.2 for a cheaper one).
so tolerance would be ?1.4?C (or?2.5?C)

I can't find the maximum tolerance permited in the AMS2750E, but according to the SAT reports from our calibration they were using up to ?5?F (?3?C)

the only thing i see is on AMS2750E para 3.2.2 "Shall be digital and have a minimum readability of 1 ?F or 1 ?C."

So if the equipment i would use has a total tolerance of ?1.4?C (or?2.5?C), then this would be permitted per AMS2750E for SAT reports?

Thank for taking the time and helping me on this

Top Bottom