Defect Rate for asking for an RMA - Company wants an RMA for every defect found

A

axelrios

I have a SQE role, one of our suppliers used to be internal(part of the same company) but now we are a separate company, my ompany want me to RMA for every defect found, previous splitting the company we allowed a small % of reject by common agreement, now they want me RMA very single defect, from the supplier point of view, they cant provide 100% quality and there is no contract or formal agreement after the split

my company do a 100% inspection on each shipment fro years, lots are ~2500 parts and production rejects ~15 parts from the supplier, if these were on a sampling by our AQL on sampling these would pass,

what would be a good approach for this situation? taking on account that these material are consigned with now with 0 cost

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
That sounds like a fun situation ... I've had suppliers who insisted on shipping product that they had sorted out the most grievous defects and let us sort the rest. We were only able to use 75% of what they supplied and the rest was scrapped at our expense. The supplier would not accept RMA material - they viewed it as being within their process specifications.

We tried to negotiate a deal where they would sort the flawed (cosmetically) ones and simply sell us the flawless ones for a higher cost, but they did not want the burden of sorting and the responsibility for escapes. So 100% sorting on our end ...

The solution was to get Finance and Purchasing on board with the idea of ordering 44% more (remember, only a 75% yield) so as to meet needed quantities.

And no formal contract between the two organizations? There probably is, but nobody has read it. Your organization surely has some form of terms and conditions, and the newly spun off company will be developing their own.

Last edited:

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is an issue many of us are facing today. Increasing quality expectations bring us to defect levels that are too low for reasonable sampling plans to detect and now we use 100% inspection and/or capturing failures on the line. The concept of an acceptable defect rate is becoming extinct. Unfortunately the processes that govern how we handle this have not kept up.

I suggest thinking a bit differently about this and including your finance and commodity/purchasing teams in this. Ask what you gain from an actual return. If defect rates are rather low and the defects are 'well understood or known' consider how you can deal with financial compensation in the least wasteful manner possible. A return doesn't improve anyone's understanding. You count them and throw them away then simply charge back to your customer. If a new defect occurs a return would have value so the supplier can study it.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I have a SQE role, one of our suppliers used to be internal(part of the same company) but now we are a separate company, my ompany want me to RMA for every defect found, previous splitting the company we allowed a small % of reject by common agreement, now they want me RMA very single defect, from the supplier point of view, they cant provide 100% quality and there is no contract or formal agreement after the split

my company do a 100% inspection on each shipment fro years, lots are ~2500 parts and production rejects ~15 parts from the supplier, if these were on a sampling by our AQL on sampling these would pass,

what would be a good approach for this situation? taking on account that these material are consigned with now with 0 cost
I'm curious what you mean when you say "RMA." In my mind this means Return Material Authorization, and the material is sent back to the supplier at their expense. Sometimes it's just the rejected parts, and sometimes it's the whole lot of material.

I've also heard some people use RMA as a generic term meaning to reject supplier material, with or without corrective action. Can you please describe what RMA means in your post?

P

PaulJSmith

Do you have a procedure in place to address this? If so, use that as your guide. It may or may not require an update to address the new arrangement. If not, you might use this opportunity to add one.

In the short term, you probably need to gather all of the information you can find regarding the "wink-n-nod" agreement. This may entail getting all knowledgeable parties together in one room so everyone is on the same page at the same time. Bev's idea of involving finance and purchasing is excellent as well. Your description of the situation could get very costly in a lot of ways (money, time, supplier relationship) if it's not addressed in a timely manner.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
This is an issue many of us are facing today. Increasing quality expectations bring us to defect levels that are too low for reasonable sampling plans to detect and now we use 100% inspection and/or capturing failures on the line. The concept of an acceptable defect rate is becoming extinct. Unfortunately the processes that govern how we handle this have not kept up.
All too true. Processes need to have built in mistake proofing, and designs need to be more robust to achieve today's quality expectations.

A

axelrios

RMA is like you mentioned autorization to return the material phisically and in the system, but we only return the "bad parts" most of the time

A

axelrios

I'm curious what you mean when you say "RMA." In my mind this means Return Material Authorization, and the material is sent back to the supplier at their expense. Sometimes it's just the rejected parts, and sometimes it's the whole lot of material.

I've also heard some people use RMA as a generic term meaning to reject supplier material, with or without corrective action. Can you please describe what RMA means in your post?

Thanks
RMA is like you mentioned autorization to return the material phisically and in the system, but we only return the "bad parts" most of the time

A

axelrios

I suggest thinking a bit differently about this and including your finance and commodity/purchasing teams in this. Ask what you gain from an actual return. If defect rates are rather low and the defects are 'well understood or known' consider how you can deal with financial compensation in the least wasteful manner possible. A return doesn't improve anyone's understanding. You count them and throw them away then simply charge back to your customer. If a new defect occurs a return would have value so the supplier can study it.

Yes, it is indeed frustrating, supplier comments that the defect rate is below AQL, so no penalization can be done, is this legit??

Our organization used to be ok with that, now they want 100% material to be good

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L PPM Defect Rate as a Performance Metric - Are there Flaws? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
A How Defect Rate Changes After Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
optomist1 Converting Defect Rate To Capability index Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D DPPM - Calculating the Defect Rate of a Software Test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
S Six sigma and defect rate (6 sigma = 3.4 PPM) Six Sigma 6
J Calculating Defect Rate or Percent of Rejection Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D Sample Size for 95% CI - Lot size is 25,000 - 2% Defect Rate Process Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 32
R What's the difference between using PPM or Defect Rate in a process? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
Gman2 Automotive PPM Requirements - Our customer is trying to demand a 100% 0 defect rate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Marc Calculating Defect Rate (PPM) from a Cpk value Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
I Old Time Scatter diagrams for defect type and location- software Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
A AQL - How to count samples with defects for each defect class AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
J Here is my definition of Defect Mapping Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
L How to write a proper defect description in a NCR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
Q Calculating Defect Rates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Software change control process and defect tracking ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G Defect codes and process codes need to be controlled AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
C Are zero defect sampling plans relevant to AS9120B Distributor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Zero Defect Sampling Plan Standards Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Fender1 Customer specified Item Defect Corrective Action Responsibility Customer Complaints 18
R Defect Display Area for Employee Shift Change Information Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
P Evolving Quality Levels - Expectations for Lowered Defect Levels AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 21
T Customer Requirement for Sorting - Visual Defect on Plastic Part IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
P Visual Defect during Validation Process Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
J Classifying Defect Reports from Business Partners US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
J Critical Defect Destructive Testing Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
N New to ISO 9001 - NCR for every defect? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
D Renault Painting Defect Acceptance Criteria Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T Probablity of correctly detecting a defect size Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T Metal Stamping Defect--Need Help with Corrective Action Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A Shall we raise SCAR/CAR for every defect as per our current procedure? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) for Mixed Part Defect IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Are P-charts for a Particular Defect or can Different Defects be counted in one? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
K Defect Reporting and Tracking Software for a Small Machine Shop Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
S Standard Machining Defect Codes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
K Defect Detection for Fresh Injection Molding Solid Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R LTPD (Lot Tolerance Percent Defective) Sampling Plan with %Defect Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
1 Defect Tracking Excel Spreadsheet Template Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
S Measurement Error When Measuring a Defect - Scratches Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
S What if I find a defect after AQL (Inspection)? Pharmaceuticals AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
B Can Minitab 15 Chart Geometric Distributions with Very Low Defect Rates? Using Minitab Software 2
D Herringbone Defect Condition in Rolled Steel Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
B Minitab Gage R&R using Defect Count per Unit Area Using Minitab Software 1
L Zoned Defect Chart - 9 zones with 12 possible defects Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J How to understand NOTE 2 in the ISO 9000 definition of defect? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Customer asks me about AQL for defect types AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
L Typical defect ppm level for barrel surface coating process? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
A Lamination Defect in Structural Steel Plate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A Ring Joint Gasket Defect Types and their Consequences Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 13
T Implementing Defect Logs into my existing Non-conformance procedure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4