Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
From Experience in:
  • Airbag Restraint Systems
  • Anti-Lock Brake Systems
  • DoD Aerospace High Reliability Electronics
In your Design FMEA you are doing a risk analysis of the product function.
In short - If the product fails, what is the potential risk?

If you really are into it, there was a series that National Geographic did for a while called "Air Crash Investigation". I have probably 100+ episodes recorded. Here is an example:

I haven't flown in quite a few years, but I am still technically a licensed pilot. Thus - My interest. I loved my time in the left seat as PIC.
Plus Factor: Technical detective work / Root Cause Failure Analysis.

Last night I watched an episode in which a thrust reverser deployed in flight on takeoff. Can't remember the aircraft type, but it was a 2 engine short haul jet. Short version: Pilots were not trained on in-flight thrust reversal activation because the "statistics" showed it as a 1:1Billion chance of failure. So - No pilot training and 100+ people die. Of note is there were multiple redundant sytems, including the plane's computer, so I can understand the odds. That is what a DESIGN FMEA is about. Put the process FMEA aside for a minute. The Design FMEA is only an input into the Process FMEA. A Design FMEA is "What if the part fails".

1. Pilot Training on the aircraft to immediately identify in-flight thrust reversal recovery.
2. Add a verbal and "alarm" sound specific to in-flight thrust reversal deployment.

Contrast with a Process FMEA

A Design FMEA is different than a Process FMEA. Design FMEA items are often inputs to a process FMEA. The Process FMEA, which I will write a definition for soon, has to do with specific processes which, for different applications of the same part which go through a nearly identical process(es), typically have different risk levels.

Also see: Typical Automotive Trilogy Development

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
K Determining Effect of Failure without a DFMEA (Design FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 1
M Severity Reduction in a Design FMEA (DFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 25
G How to identify Key Characteristics (KC) in a Design FMEA (DFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 2
R DFMEA (Design FMEA) on Printed Circuit Boards (PCB's) FMEA and Control Plans 2
R Rear Axle Gear Group DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Example wanted FMEA and Control Plans 2
M ISO 14971 Risk Analysis and use of a DFMEA (Design FMEA) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Chennaiite DFMEA (Design FMEA) at Vehicle Level - Some inputs needed. FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA (DFMEA) Basics - Help needed IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S DFMEA (Design FMEA) for a New Line Operation of the Underground Operation FMEA and Control Plans 10
T Electronic Assembly Design FMEA (DFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 6
michellemmm Reverse Engineering a Design FMEA using aerospace DFMEA guidelines FMEA and Control Plans 2
T DFMEA (Design FMEA) - We already have a PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 5
P Design FMEA (DFMEA) required on all products and their parts? Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
R Can a DFMEA (Design FMEA) effectively analyse design modifications? FMEA and Control Plans 12
C DFMEA (Design FMEA) and PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Who should lead? FMEA and Control Plans 14
A DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Occurance and Detection Ratings FMEA and Control Plans 2
B How to fill s/c and c/c in DFMEA (Design FMEA)? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
S DFMEA - Is a Design FMEA required? FMEA and Control Plans 3
M DFMEA (Design FMEA) for Trailers or any heavy vehicle design Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
N How to Calculate RPN in Design FMEA (DFMEA) vs. Process FMEA (PFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 9
M When to start a DFMEA (Design FMEA)? APQP and PPAP 2
B What is the meaning of the Occurrence in the DFMEA (Design FMEA)? FMEA and Control Plans 8
R DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Document or Record? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
W DFMEA (Design FMEA) for Bulk Material - Resin for Plastic Injection Moulding FMEA and Control Plans 1
K DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Plastic Injection Molding FMEA and Control Plans 2
T Ballpoint Pen DFMEA (Design FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 13
L Special Characteristics in DFMEA (Design FMEA) - Carry over to PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 9
Y Design (DFMEA) and Process (PFMEA) FMEA Failure Mode Identification Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
S Control Plan and Design FMEA (DFMEA) Links FMEA and Control Plans 4
G DFMEA buy-in strategies for Design Engineers APQP and PPAP 22
Shawn Mosby DFMEA when the supplier doesn't have design responsibility APQP and PPAP 14
C Design for Assembly in DFMEA - Failure Effect of Sub-System(s) FMEA and Control Plans 5
M DFMEA and its linkage to Design Verification FMEA and Control Plans 1
J Selection Matrix for DFMEA Focus in New Product Design FMEA and Control Plans 7
T DME (design margin evaluation) vs. DFMEA Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
A Commerical off the shelf items (COTS) in DFMEA's (Design FMEAs) FMEA and Control Plans 5
M 7.3.2.2 - Process Design in Remanufacturing - Registration Finding for no DFMEA Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
G Detection Rating in Design FMEAs (DFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 2
Casana DFMEA Design Control response FMEA and Control Plans 4
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
Q Is that any difficulty to do software DFMEA and PFMEA in ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M How to complete structure Analysis and Function analysis sections' columns of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Handling nonfunctional requirements in DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 5
Jimmy123 P-Diagram vs DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
C Function definition for DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
optomist1 DFMEA - Real Life Drama FMEA and Control Plans 25
optomist1 Share a DFMEA template please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P Detection rating for a user (surgeon) related failure mode in DFMEA APQP and PPAP 3
T DFMEA/PFMEA and SCCAF alignment FMEA and Control Plans 19