Do Engineering Standards require periodic review? ISO 9001 4.2.4 (b)

S

shallowmike

ah no wonder it's a shambles dear R :) (the constitution)

Last edited:
P

pearsonow

In my industry and experience, our ES's are referenced on the drawings as applicable to the product. The ES is an integral part of the product development process and are reviewed or developed when the products are being developed, or possibly later in the product life if there are failures. Reviewing for review sake is not efficient in my opinion. If a product is developed with a specific ES and is in the market for several years with no issues what is the value in reviewing the ES?? I an updated model of the product is developed, you would review the ES to ensure it is applicable and appropriate and move on with changes or not...System approach.

Thats great, but what happens if while you are manufacturing item A there is a change in legislation so it must now display a sticker with it's recyclability on it. If your ES references the piece of legislation which has been amended, and someone reviews it properly then this should be picked up at some point. if it is not reviewed then yoiu break the law until you get caught/fined/jailed.

If the law is a new one and regular product reviews are not held - which would themselves check the ES if done properly, then again you don't find out about it until you get caught/fined/jailed. Incidently either of these would lead to an ISO non-conformance too, as legal comliance is an inherant customer requirement.

just my:2cents:

Top Bottom