Do we have to do strategic planning?

S

s_warin

Charlie Cianfrani said in Quality Conversatons in May 21, 2002 that "Quality objectives have to align with business objectives. The idea was to have business objectives, strategic planning, coming into having the quality function integrated into the fabric of the organization and via the objectives group, which now get through policy into objectives that get deployed across the entire organization."
What is your opinion? Do we have to have strategic planning?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
I agree Jim. I've been telling everyone here to think of the system only in terms of what we need in place to operate this buisiness successfully. I tell them that the only additional requirements are those mandated by our customers. Since we have customers that require ISO certification, it must be dealt with as well as any other customer specific requirements.

Eileen

Business Objectives and Strategic Planning

From a strict ISO 9001 standpoint, strategic planning (whatever that is) is not required. Quality objectives, on the other hand are required. Can I determine quality objectives without strategic planning?…I think so. Would it be wise? Maybe yes, maybe no. Certainly, as Jim and Eileen have indicated, it probably would not be beneficial to develop ‘quality objectives’ in a vacuum. I think TS bears this out better than ISO.

S

sneekparty

My opinion....

Hi Everybody,

To me strategic planning is of essential importance, because if you don't know where your going how are you going to survive...

Within our company we periodically look at the surrounding (competitive forces model, Porter) as wel as looking at the internal processes (value chain)...and see what our strategie must be to be competitive and in the end be the best in the business...

When we look at our internal processes we look at every business function and see what we can improve...in which we use objectives...this also can mean quality objectives...for example..if we look at the R&D we want to reduce the designfaults per project....This is actually an business objective and a quality objective at the same time....

S_warin this is my opinion on the subject of strategic planning...
I have a question for you....what's your opinion on strategic planning do you find it necessary?

Grtz,
Martin

S

s_warin

Strategic planning

Dear Martin,
At the moment I think the quality managment system itself is the strategic plan. Strategy is what you would like to achieve. Tactic is what and how you do to achive it. If you are on one side of the road and would like to be on the other side of the road. You see yourself overthere. This is what you would like to achieve. How and what to do the be on the other side of the road? Many ways and means. You choose one you think the most appropriate. In QMS you have the vision (policy). You have the objectives. (What you would like to achieve). You have plans to do the works.
Positively,
Warin

J

Jim Biz

Hmmmm ? been awhile since Ive been here at the Cove - this thread begs me to ask a couple of semi-clear folowups to the origional question.

1) If we dont need a plan BUT have identified our chosen measurable OBJECTIVES - without one - how did they get there and on what basis do I prove they are applicable to the organization?? and (IF I can do that somehow) -- what will we do with the measured results?

2) If the measurable objectives are supposed to drive Measurable improvements and we have essensially no plan (or a structure for one) in place - how does that work ??

Last edited by a moderator:
S

s_warin

Planning in clause 5.4 of ISO 9001 is difference from planning in clause 7.1. Clause 7.1 is the planning of product realization while planning in clause 5.4 is the organization's strategic planning.
What is you opinion?:)

Sorta

Planning in clause 5.4 of ISO 9001 is difference from planning in clause 7.1
5.4.1 mentions "quality objectives, including those need to requirments for product [see 7.1a)].

This tells me that 5.4.1 is dealing with two levels of objectives. You have the global objectives; zero defects, 100% on-time deliveries, etc. The second level is the product level objectives, which are outlined in 7.1.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Warin makes a good analogy! And Martin's comments are on the mark as well.

Too many companies out there don't make strategic plans. They live day to day without ensuring their futures. While you don't have to make them if you don't want to, you make the statement that your not here to stay in business.

E and Jim are also right, IMO: making the distinction between business and quality objectives is unhelpful and destructive. Keep it simple: do what is right for the system and its components. Organizations have limited resources (most anyway), so pick the objectives that are helpful to the system.

Just my nickels worth...

Kev

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Is Strategic Planning audited? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
L Strategic Planning & Management Review Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
J What are the Processes under Strategic Corporate Planning ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Annual Strategic Planning Session - How can a Quality Manager contribute? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
F Strategic Planning and Quality Management System Integration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
G KPIs required by TOP Management for strategic planning Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Balanced Scorecard / Strategic Planning linked to Strategical Objectives Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
T Using Business Excellence awards as input to strategic planning Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
D Requirement of Pharmacovigilance (Drug Safety) Risk Based Strategic and Tactical Audit Plan General Auditing Discussions 0
M Informational US FDA CDRH’s Health of Women Program Strategic Plan Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D EMS Management review outputs - Strategic direction of the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
qualprod Annual SWOT for 4.1? I plan to revise quality objectives and strategic route ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q How to provide evidence of Strategic Direction (Easy) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Business Continuity - ISO 22301 BCMS Strategic and Tactical Objectives Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 3
D Balancing between Strategic Objectives & Short Term Priorities Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Ajit Basrur CDRH 2014 Strategic Priorities US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
AnaMariaVR2 FDA's Research Strategic Plan (RSP) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D ISO 9001:2008 Internal Audit ? Strategic Department Internal Auditing 6
Ajit Basrur Strategic priorities for FDA's CDRH - 2012 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
T Legislative and Regulatory Tracking: Strategic Risk Analysis Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
B Adoption of a Quality Management System - About Strategic Decisions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
AnaMariaVR2 Strategic Priorities: Responding to the Public Health Challenges of the 21st Century US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Michael Malis FDA final version of Strategic Priorities for the next 5 years US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Z Is adoption of ISO 9001 a strategic decision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
S Withholding of Information from Employers - Strategic Target or Personal Behavior? Career and Occupation Discussions 14
M Setting Up a Quality Measurement System - Part of a strategic goal to improve quality Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
A Lack of Quality Presence in Strategic Meetings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
N Resource Management in processes & Strategic Plan - TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
R Management Reviews - What are the requirememts? Is a strategic plan enough? (3yearly) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 14
Marc Definition Strategic Partnership - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc Definition Strategic Benchmarking - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
M Strategic Business Plan - Strategic Business Objectives vs. Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 47
Marc Why do companies ask suppliers what their Strategic Business matters are? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
A Training - Strategic Issue QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
E Our company is planning to file MDD not MDR next month. Do we require to show chemical characterization report ? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
L How to understand the clause 6 Planning of ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
H Operational planning and product and service provision when things happen so fast ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
NDesouza AS9100 - D Capacity Planning Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Moncia Production Planning procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Richard Regalado Top 10 operational risks of 2019 for business continuity planning Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
E Resources for Planning for top quality Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M IATF 16949 (6.1.1 - Planning and Risk Analysis for a remote site) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
DuncanGibbons Are there any aerospace specific requirements for material resource planning? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S ISO 9001:2015 & ISO 14001:2015 - I need a format for Design & Development planning ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
M Master Dot for quality planning/improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
W Tying the need for Demand Planning to a section of AS9100/9110 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
W Core Process Metrics AS9100D for Product Planning? Quotes and sales? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
G Anyone working with or planning to do business in the CBD (cannabidiol) industry? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5