Document Control Procedure - Too much detail?

Q

QAMTY

Hi everyone

I´m in charge of creating the procedure for the control of docs.

But have some doubts in this regard, I´ll appreciate your help

My doubt is how much detail should I include in the procedure?

For example, I´ve seen some samples procedures on the net and they are very simple, for example for the approval just say"
The department X should approve the documents before the issuing, and "Documents of department Y, have to be removed from point of use"
and so on.

I´ve seen some other that describe the steps in high detail

" First the responsible sends an email..."
" Then wait for the approval using xxx documents"
" Then the document is apporved, and saved in the server xxx and in the folder xxx"

Should it be more in detail? it is practical and useful ?

and should I give the details only for docs of quality or also on those product of the Realization process (e.g. Engineering, construction)?

is It recommended one document for all the departments, or separated?
Please advice me on it

Thanks

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Document control too much detailed?

The key question you ask is "Is it practical and useful?" That's what it needs to be, so long as the requirements of 4.2 are covered. There should be no more detail than what's required to describe the requirements and how they "shall" be fulfilled.

S

samsung

Re: Document control too much detailed?

Hi everyone

I´m in charge of creating the procedure for the control of docs.

But have some doubts in this regard, I´ll appreciate your help

My doubt is how much detail should I include in the procedure?

For example, I´ve seen some samples procedures on the net and
they are very simple, for example for the approval just say"
The department X should approve the documents before the issuing,
and "Documents of department Y, have to be removed from point of use"
and so on.

" Then the document is apporved, and saved in the server xxx
and in the folder xxx"

In general and in my opinion, your doc. control procedure should clearly define all the requirements specified in 4.2.3 (a to g) and in doing so, I don't think your procedure would be rendered over-detailed.

and should I give the details only for docs of quality or also on those product of the Realization process (e.g. Engineering, construction)?
Clause 4.2.1 says
documents, including records, determined by the organization to be necessary to ensure the effective planning, operation and control of its processes.

Is It recommended one document for all the departments, or separated?

If the activities of all the departments is similar/ identical, one document for all the departments will suffice, else not.

T

treesei

Re: Document Control Procdure - Too much detail?

QAMTY,

As the previous responders pointed out, your procedure should cover all necessary elements required by the standard.

Leave the very technical details (step 1 xxx, step 2 xxx and so on) to a lower level document (a technical document, an aid document, a work instruction document, a handbook etc) which is the child of your procedure.

H

Hodgepodge

For example, I´ve seen some samples procedures on the net and they are very simple, for example for the approval just say"
The department X should approve the documents before the issuing, and "Documents of department Y, have to be removed from point of use"
and so on.

" Then the document is apporved, and saved in the server xxx and in the folder xxx"

It depends. It is possible to create one method of document approval for all departments. I don't know how happy everyone in your company will be with it though. Depending on the size and complexity of your company, you may want to have all docs controlled the same way except for engineering docs (or whatever department).

Perhaps there isn't a single person in a particular department has the mindset to be good at organizing and controlling documents. I wouldn't let them create a method for controlling documents.

Is it recommended one document for all the departments, or separated?

I will say this, the more people involved in the approval, control, and distribution of documents, the more detail you will need in your procedure. Also, you must contol all the documents your company uses.

A

AliInMo

I wrote an SOP to cover the entire document control process since it is a process which spans across all departments. I also wrote specific work instructions for document control which were referenced in the Document Control SOP. In a way, I was fortunate because I was preparing for maternity leave at the time and was already writing detailed instructions for the new girl in the department to use while I was out. So the work instructions were very specific, step by step documents.

Randy

Super Moderator
When you write a procedure you paint yourself into a corner, the greater the detail the tighter the corner and the paint dries real, real slow.

Procedures are like trying to play Russian Roullette with a loaded single shot pistol...In the end, it will go off and the wound is self inflicted with only yourself to blame for the injury

J

JRKH

QAMTY,

As the previous responders pointed out, your procedure should cover all necessary elements required by the standard.

Leave the very technical details (step 1 xxx, step 2 xxx and so on) to a lower level document (a technical document, an aid document, a work instruction document, a handbook etc) which is the child of your procedure.

This is what I was going to say as well.
Define the process in a general way in your high level document. If there is need for greater detail, of or to cover variations in different departments, save that for lower level documents.

There are many variables in this such as the size of your company, the number of departments and documents to be controlled, level of training and how the departments are set up etc...

Randy brings in a good point to about "painting yourself in to a corner". The more "Documented" your process, the more opportunities there are for "failure to follow the process" and a resulting NC.

So, as others have already said, look for the simplest and most practical approach then go for it. :agree1:

B

Bunny

I like to leave enough wiggle room in the procedure that we won't get bogged down in the minor details and won't get an AR written on us from an auditor. BUT, I put in enough detail that ambiguity is removed.

Top Bottom