Does TS 16949 require inspection? Imported parts

mbehmazia

Involved In Discussions
Sorry guys, didn't know where else to post my question:

We do not manufacture parts from Taiwan however our parent company does then ships it to our warehouse here for distribution only. Are we required under TS for inspecting this material? The only thing we do is forward the product to another facility here in the US

thanks, Michael

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Does TS require inspection? Imported parts

Hi Michael - I moved your post to a new thread in the TS 16949 forum.
Sorry guys, didn't know where else to post my question:

We do not manufacture parts from Taiwan however our parent company does then ships it to our warehouse here for distribution only. Are we required under TS for inspecting this material? The only thing we do is forward the product to another facility here in the US

thanks, Michael
I have a couple of questions for clarification:
1) Are the parts purchased by your company?
2) Are they sent directly to customers, sent to other sites for distribution, or sent to other manufacturing sites for further processing?

mbehmazia

Involved In Discussions

These parts are manufactured in Taiwan, shipped to us, then to Taiwan's customers, not ours. We only receive them, warehouse them, then ship directly to our parent company's customers if that makes sense.

howste

Thaumaturge

These parts are manufactured in Taiwan, shipped to us, then to Taiwan's customers, not ours.
If they are automotive parts manufactured by your parent company, then they should have already done the necessary inspection. They aren't purchased product, so 7.4.3 doesn't apply. I would expect at least a damage/condition check though.

mbehmazia

Involved In Discussions
That is what we are doing at the moment. What I don't want to do is reopen the packaged material for visual inspection. Even with just performing a visual inspection of the outside container and not the parts inside, normal inspection WI's and SOP's requirements applies and not TS requirements correct?

Z

zancky

In my modest point of view,
you are performing a service therefore you are not under the ISO TS scope (ISO TS is intended for manufacturing/production ).

T

timference

I ave had this similar situation. We produced parts in China, warehoused them here and then distributed to automtive assembly factories. I dsagree that 7.4.3.1 of the TS does not apply. If fanct it does and depending on the registar, he may want to review the storage. However an elaborate inspection is not necessary.

I would suggest an inspection to ensure it made it across the ocean fine (I assume you are shipping via ocean) and then just a sampling inspection. Also, a review of the statistcal data or test data from the manufacturer would suffice.

The TS does not state how or how much of the product needs to be inspected so keep it simple. No grandiosse inspection plans, WI's etc are needed. Again I suggest just a quick did it make it OK inspextion and a review of the test/inspection results. This will suffice for the TS requirement.

howste

Thaumaturge
I ave had this similar situation. We produced parts in China, warehoused them here and then distributed to automtive assembly factories. I dsagree that 7.4.3.1 of the TS does not apply. If fanct it does...
Please help me to understand why 7.4.3.1 applies if it's not purchased product.
7.4.3.1 said:
The organization shall have a process to assure the quality of purchased product...

M

M Greenaway

I would consider the risk, doing FMEA would be a good idea, then take any incoming inspection activity that you consider necessary based on the risk involved.

Im sure this would fit with TS16949.

T

tyker

Where do you fit in the TS chain?

As an independant distributor you probably wouldn't have your own TS registration so are you under the parent company umbrella?

If so, the product inspection has already been done and, unless the control plan requires anything further, there are no further checks to be carried out.

End of. Howste has it right, as usual.

Top Bottom