Electrical Panel Inspection

Robert Stanley

Starting to get Involved
How do you inspect electrical wiring? I have a quality process for inspecting deminsions of machined parts but I don't have any experience with electrical schematics or wiring inspections. The team has regular UL inspections to maintain our certification but I don't have anything in our quality process to verify wiring and components on our machines. Is there a quality process that is industry standard for this type of inspection?

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
I will start by saying I am not sure of the context of your question.

Are the machines your products?

I worked at a place that made wiring harnesses. We used Cirrus testers to check the harnesses.

Testers - Cirris Inc

AllTheThings

Involved In Discussions
What UL certification do you have? Is it 9001? or something else?

Assuming these panels are on machinery, NOT part of building infrastructure, the governing US standard is likely UL-508a. It informs usable components, including wiring and harnessing methods. Many machinery/panel construction shops are part of the UL (or other NRTL) panel program and get regularly inspected to UL-508a. But I find it lacking for some quality control aspectes.

For other types of wiring and wiring harnesses, IPC-620 is the current industry state of the art.

Just from a quality perspective (and based on the largest sources of failure I've seen), if I was wanting to put good product out the door, I would do a few things:
  • Multipoint visual: debris/FOD, presence of safety covers, routing, pinchpoint avoidance, etc.
  • Wire/crimp quality: ensure your crimpers are inspected regularly. You have dimensional inspection, so you probably have gage pins that you could use for checking crimpers. Pull-testing crimps is also a sure way (short of potting and bisecting) to ensure crimp quality.
  • Wire labelling: Kind of self explanatory. If labels are present and accurate, it makes everything easier from assembly to troubleshooting years down the road.
  • Dielectric withstand/hipot: Finds assembly issues, cables damaged during assembly, errant strands, some FOD, etc.
  • Ground Bond: Makes sure you not only have continuity, but solid grounding connections. Ensures you are protecting users.

Top Bottom