FAI - AS9102 Rev C - Customer Requirements

Samson5556

Registered
Hi, we are a manufacturing company and our AS9100 Customer has asked us to manufacture parts to their drawings that we will then assemble. In regards to the FAI they have asked for a "First Article Inspection Report (per AS9100) to be provided on the top-level assembly". I would have thought that usually we would be expected to undertake a FAI on each part that makes up that assembly? If they have only asked for an FAI on the top-level assembly would we go by their request or adhere to the Standard? (I am thinking they don't wish to pay for multiple FAI's on every part?) Thanks in advance for your advice :)

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
The customer's buyer may not realize that a 9102 on the top level assembly consisting of 5 detail parts will require 6 FAIR's.

Samson5556

Registered
Ask the customer shat they are really after.

typo correction -- what
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply, if the customer states that they are happy with only a FAI on the completed assembly would this be acceptable. I'm just not sure if we have to go by the AS9102 Standard or by what the customer requests? E.g. if the customer states that they only want the one FAI do we go with what the customer wants?

Big Jim

Admin
Take another look at the customer requirement. If it is, as you posted at the beginning, First Article per AS9100 then you don't need to worry about the additional AS9102 requirements. AS9100 is only a few sentences. AS9102 is something like 20 pages including forms to use and how to fill them out.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I guess I'm confused as to what the customer requirement was. The thread title says 9102 Rev C, the OP says AS9100. Which is it?

Milledon

Registered
I see this often and it usually stems from a customer not wanting to add delays or bust a budget.

My advice to you, develop a solid FAI Plan specific to the Part or parts associated. In this case, only the top level. The plan must take exception to many aspects of AS9102, since section 1.3 applies to the product structure (like you said).

When the FAI is finished, it is really AS9102 compliant? I would say no. So you may not be able to take credit for this Assembly being a "Baseline Part" IAW AS9102. So, keeping track of this would be a bit complicated, but still manageable.

Alternately, if the lower level parts are of your design and you are the organization responsible for product realization processes that produce the
design characteristics of them, and you are AS9100 accredited, you should already have a FAIR on file or have planned for FAI.

Top Bottom