FAI Ballooning ASME Y14.5

paultyler

Involved In Discussions
Has anyone ever been requested by an aerospace customer to include ASME Y14.5 ballooning on an AS9102 FAI? If so what would one balloon?

paultyler

Involved In Discussions
Yes, I understand that all dimensions are to be included on form 3 per AS9102.
I have included on form 3 all the dimensions that are on the customer provided drawing.

The drawing also has some general notes as well as some flag notes. One of the general notes states; "DIMENSIONING AND TOLERANCING PER ASME Y14.5 (2009)"

What information would I include from ASME Y14.5 to put on form 3?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I have included on form 3 all the dimensions that are on the customer provided drawing.

The drawing also has some general notes as well as some flag notes. One of the general notes states; "DIMENSIONING AND TOLERANCING PER ASME Y14.5 (2009)"

Just put "Noted" there.

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
The AS9102 form 3 has every characteristic numbered with a Characteristic Number (a sequence number in the left-most column). To my understanding, "ballooning" a drawing is putting a small circle containing a sequence number next to every dimension or feature on the product drawing, including the special notes. Sometimes a GD&T feature control-frame is numbered as one or more separate balloon number(s), especially if that characteristic is checked on a different gauge or in a separate inspection operation. This way, your customer can see that every characteristic on the drawing is included on the FAI, and nothing is overlooked. Also, if there is more than one dimension the same size, ballooning the dimension communicates which dimension is documented on each line in the FAI. I always add the balloons manually rather than in the CAD, because it shows that an actual person thoroughly reviewed every single dimension in the preparation of the FAIR.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

I wouldn't put that general note on the FAIR at all, because I'm not responsible for the drawing; that's a note to let the user of the drawing know how the design responsible party dimensioned and toleranced the drawing. I wouldn't list a general note that stated that all dimensions are in English, or any other type of general note like that. I've never had a FAIR kicked back because of it. If your customer insists that general notes are listed on form 3, then just put "noted" as Jim suggested above.

Top Bottom