FAI (First Article Inspection) using Digital Design Data

K

kiwisfly

A recent article on the QF A380 incident highlighted a significant error caused by the FAI being undertaken against the manufacturing data rather than the original (digital) design data. I have come across this a few times and must admit that I probably have not paid enough attention to the original design data when reviewing the FAIR. In the incident, the FAIR was correct against the manufacturing data but the manufacturing engineers had made an error in the transfer from the design data. Does that mean that all FAI should only be against original design data? What if the manufacturer only receives digital design data, should auditors be checking that the transformation to manufacturing data ensures the design characteristic results? Should FAI only be against original design data? (somewhat rhetorical these) Any thoughts??

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: FAI using digital design data

Are we discussing FAIR as in AS9102 or FAI as in production First artcle inspection.

I am thinking AS9102... so

We want to approach this as a process and the intent of AS9102 is to validate that the Manufacturing process is effective.

The manufacturing engineering process has a couple of areas to validate the effectiveness of their process. It appears by your statement that the engineering process needs to be evaluated and appropriate adjustments be made to minimize RISK.

K

kiwisfly

From AS9102:

FIRST ARTICLE INSPECTION (FAI): A complete, independent, and documented physical and functional inspection process to verify that prescribed production methods have produced an acceptable item as specified by engineering drawings, planning, purchase order, engineering specifications, and/or other applicable design documents.

FIRST ARTICLE INSPECTION REPORT (FAIR): The forms and package of documentation for a part number or assembly, including FAI results, as per this Standard.

I posted the same query at LinkedIn (AS91XX Series - Tips and Advice) if anyone is interested. There has been some useful contributions from Leon Himmelfarb and Jack Fletcher.

Cheers,

dsanabria

The Organization should conduct the following activities in support of FAI.

1. Review documentation for the manufacturing process (e.g., routing sheets, manufacturing/quality plans, manufacturing work instructions, etc.) to make sure all operations are complete as planned.

2. Review referenced exhibits supporting the FAI (e.g., inspection data, test data, Acceptance Test Procedures, etc.) for completeness.

Did I missed the question?:confused::confused:

K

kiwisfly

Yes you did, the question related to the completion of First Article when only digital design data is provided. No problems though, other site has been very informative, too much to repeat here.

Cheers,

dsanabria

OK, thought I provided the answer on other post but for other readers - AS9102 is not clear how digital design characteristic is handled.

Too often, the blames goes to the Quality department for missing something that they have no control over it, no tools or appropriate training nor time to review engineering works. AS9100 / 9101D OER provides a process to make those verification and validation (7.3) and internal auditors do not review that process or the RISKS associated with those process.

R

rider1

It is critical to maintain data set integrity (model, part list, notes). Ideally you do not want to translate the data from one format to another but... sometimes you just have no choice (CMM software, customer, etc.). You must create a procedure covering:

a. Procedure describing how to ensure all model based surfaces have been inspected.
b. Inspection format (E.g. number of data points per surface area).
c. Output format.
d. AS9102 FAI report format.
e. Inspection CMM software and Product Acceptance Software (PAS) (E.g. Cosmos, PCDMIS, etc.) to include the name, version, date of purchase, training certificates, etc…
f. Inspection CMM software and Product Acceptance Software (PAS) validation and certification procedure (i.e. calibration and validation certificates)
g. Software used in CAD/CAM (CATIA, ENOVIA etc.) and translation required from CATIA native data sets to include name, version, date of purchase, training certificates, etc…
h. Data/Model integrity:
ii. Verification procedure
iii. Translation validation procedure
i. Industry specifications conformance (AS-9100, etc…)
j. Inspection Process Planner software (DELMIA – DPM IPP2, Verisurf, …) to include name, version, date of purchase, training certificates, etc…
k. Supplier control
l. Training control

Take a look at ASME Y14.41-2003, you will find a lot of useful information.

dsanabria

Don't recall a customer requesting this much information - which is provided in the AS9102… :2cents:

Top Bottom