Further evidence that Microsoft is doomed: Ms. Dewey

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
I have a theory. It seems that when businesses reach a certain size, they will inevitably become so unwieldy that they'll begin to collapse and fold back in on themselves, and no amount of management expertise can stop the process once it starts.

Please, let it come true! :lol:

I had a look and tried asking Ms. Dewey all sorts of questions... Not only is this a ridiculous way of using bandwidth (don't even bother if you have a slow connection :rolleyes: ), but I also found the search results to be generally poor. I' think I'll stick to google for a while yet.

I have a theory. It seems that when businesses reach a certain size, they will inevitably become so unwieldy that they'll begin to collapse and fold back in on themselves, and no amount of management expertise can stop the process once it starts.
That reminds me of an old thread from 2002. Have a look at: Understanding Business Organizations.

/Claes

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I wonder if this will help or hinder Janina Gavankar's career?

C

chergh - 2008

Interesting description for the search engine on her homepage.

"Gavankar also plays “Ms.Dewey” in the cutting edge interactive search engine MsDewey.com"

The search engine is as interactive as google, and bandwidth hungry useless Flash visuals are hardly cutting edge (unless it's your wrists while waiting for it to load).

L

lrowe

I agree with nearly all comments posted so far -ladies you should have a "Guy" option, Microsoft is greedy, etc. But ****! Ms Dewey is hot!!

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource
It looks like an exemplar for everything a web page shouldn't be:
  • Slow loading
  • Annoying Flash animation
  • Huge amounts of wasted screen space
  • Unnecessary audio
What were they thinking?

My response is:

• Slow Loading - Who cares, I could spend hours with her!
  • Annoying Flash animation - Yes I agree, but wow she is lovely!
  • Huge amounts of wasted screen - Google's start page?
  • Unecessary audio - Yes but Mute works for me and wow she is nice!

Thank you Microsoft for what I have just received, may Ms Dewey be forever in our browsers! :yes:

(on a more serious note, Google won't be too worried!)

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
So let me get this straight:
A few pimply faced geeks unable to talk to a real girl in real life create a virtual girl to front for a really slow and hard to read pale imitation of either google or ask.com? OK - I can believe that, but I can't believe Microsoft would actually put this out in public.

BradM

Leader
Admin
I hate to play dog-pile here, but I could not see any value in the Ms. Dewey search engine. Even at the novelty level, it was very distracting staring at an individual. Her 'waiting' drew attention to how long the engine was taking.

If I needed to quickly find out some information about, say, some replacement parts for my gas grill, I would rather get in my vehicle and drive around town (and Texas is big), than go through trying to find something on that site.

Has anyone played with the search engine links I provided previously? There are pros and cons to each. I got them from a Management of Technology class I took. People are different- some are graphic, some want clusters, some are relational, etc.

Too, pick a topic that requires some resolution (maybe experiment with the advanced search engines). Use Google, then the other four sites. It is somewhat interesting seeing the different sites they return.

Me? I Google most of the time; I guess old habits are hard to break. However, If I am doing a real generic search or a really specific search (like a spec sheet for an old temperature recorder), I will use the other sites.

Top Bottom