GM's new Fast Response process - Anyone with experiences to share?

L

Lewy

I would like to share experiences about FAST RESPONSE PROCESS, the brand new GM request. :bonk: Any succesful story? :agree1: Does anybody know the origin of this new procedure? :read: Is it real what they say in their presentation: "BASED ON GMPT QUALITY PROCEDURES"? :whip:

bpritts

Involved - Posts
Lewy --

This came out a few years ago
in a program called "Quality Systems Basics". This was a GM Powertrain
internal and supplier program; I believe that GM has since promoted it to all
suppliers, but I don't believe that it's mandatory outside of Powertrain.

The gist of Fast Response was to achieve fast response (duh) to customer
concerns. Here are a few highlights from the GM presentation-- note that this was about 3 years old; may be updated.

(Quote)
Each day, the quality function shall identify significant quality
concerns (from the last 24 hours) to be reviewed at that day’s
leadership meeting. Input should include customer concerns,
supplier concerns, line stops, teardown, CARE (Buy-off), Dock
audits, audit issues and other internal quality concerns.

At that day’s leadership meeting, site leadership shall review
significant quality concerns and designate the respective owner(s)
to report out at the following day’s leadership meeting. Owner
report out shall begin with the Fast Response tracking sheet and shall
include the updated:
Problem Solving Form
FMEA
Control Plan
Standardized Work (method & sequence)
Layered Audit
Workforce Notification
(End Quote)

My customer was already doing many of these steps, so it wasn't a big change. The key issues are that customer concerns be treated (a) as a big deal within the organization; and that (b) the concern be handled with great urgency; (c) that all relevant people know about the concern status, not just a QA technician. These are all good ideas. Relatively easy to do in a small company, hard to do in a big plant.

At least some of the GM customer plants I have seen have used this methodology. You don't want your plant to be the root cause of a concern that the GM Powertrain plant gets from an assembly plant! They will give you the sense of urgency that they describe here.

Success story - (a) best to avoid customer concerns! (b) when they occur, mind the key issues above: Give it urgent priority; make sure it's communicated across your company; and keep all they key people in the loop until the problem is put to bed.

There are several other elements in the Quality System Basics program. You can get some of the presentations on it from the GM Supply Power website. Look in the GM Powertrain Supplier Presentations folders, and note that it is several years old.

Regards,

Brad

Best regards,

Brad

L

Lewy

Brad, I've been looking for the info you told me on the GMSupplypower but I'm afraid that it must be in a restricted area. Suppliers do not have access.

Perharps it is an old system or an old procedure but it a new mandatory thing for the suppliers (at least in Europe.)

I've only received a copy from our SQI and we will hold a workshop in few weeks. We are analysing the gap right now. Do you think that it works?
I will ask my SQI to visit his plant in order to see a living example.

I only see difficulties to be implemented in my company.

Lines are shared with other references (10 references) and I think that this is too much info to organise & communicate during a short meeting

bpritts

Involved - Posts
My small (50 employee) client doesn't have trouble with fast response. We do have some concerns with some of the other "Quality System Basics" techniques, as they get a little complicated. Fortunately we do not need to comply as
we don't sell to Powertrain.

Do you need to do all the "QSB", or just Fast Response?

Brad

L

Lewy

I suppose that we need the whole pack. I work for a 850 workers company supplying directly to GM Powertrain Europe.

In America your company requests are a little ahead of what it is needed in Europe. i.e. we were ask to implement all the DDW & RA Matrix thing at the end of the last year.

PatMaz

Involved In Discussions
Fast Response

Hi Lewy

Just wanted to let you know that our company has implemented the Fast Response program.

We were dinged in a QSB audit for not conforming to this procedure. We now link our Fast Response items to layered audits.
I do have a copy of the lastest Fast Response Process issued June 27/05 (162 pages of info.). I would gladly give you a copy if you can supply me your email address.

Part of Fast Response is to have a Sort company for every GM plant your company supplies.

Last edited:

mdemirer

Starting to get Involved
Hello All,
I have a question concerning to GM QSB implementation...

Will we enter QSB data to GM Supplypower? If yes, how :confused:
Please show me the way for entering this data...(Does it resemble to Ford Q1 manufacturing site assessment???)

Thanks&Best regards,
Mehmet

Quality is easy to say but much harder to do and get it done...

Last edited:
B

bgwiehle

Hello All,
I have a question concerning to GM QSB implementation...

Will we enter QSB data to GM Supplypower? If yes, how :confused:
Please show me the way for entering this data...(Does it resemble to Ford Q1 manufacturing site assessment???)

When we went through this process in 2005, we dealt directly with a GM SQE (emails and visits). There is no electronic submission to GM Supplypower that I am aware of.

We were "asked" to participate because of quality concerns at a sister plant. We completed the QSB self-assessment "Spill Prevention Audit", then were audited by the SQE to the same form. The "yellow" and "red" items needed corrective actions and we had to track completion on the "GM Audit Master Dot Action Plan". That was pretty much it (we didn't have very many systemic deficiencies).

The audit form & the QSB powerpoint presentation are available at the "QSB - Quality Systems Basics" tab of the Quality Library at GM SupplyPower.

B.G. Wiehle

jeffb

Registered Visitor
Does any-one have the new QSB forms used in the presentation that can be shared, GM has not been forthcoming to share the edible forms.
Thanks
Jeff B.

M

mindy463 - 2008

I have them but they are on a jump drive at the house. I can email them to you later this evening..............

Top Bottom