Grouping product designs for DFMEA

AgustinEnrique

Starting to get Involved
Hi everyone!

I ask you, Is there any method of how to group product designs in common to perform DFMEA?

In my organization, there are many products and product designs, so I am trying to group these designs to perform DFMEA together.

I await your answers.

Thank you!

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
The simple answer is no. even tho products may be similar there will be specific differences in function or manufacturing processes that will be unique.

Having been in your position before, I did use some template type reuse of FMEAs but was very attentive to identifying differences. For example one of my previous organizations made one time use rapid tests. (like a home pregnancy test) The base or holder and the membrane that held the test materials were common across many test types. We 'reused' the fmea for those components, but started from scratch for the test components and processes.

The critical approach here is to THINK about the product and process and work to prevent failures rather than to try to simply minimize the work.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
There would be some less common cases where you could feasibly group designs. A few examples are:
  • A product that comes in multiple colors but is identical in all other aspects.
  • Products that are symmetrically opposite such as a right-hand and left-hand product.
Some that you would want to be very cautious about application differences would be:
  • Motors of identical construction but of increasing size and rating.

Top Bottom