How to adjust interchangeable anvils?

amstel1

Starting to get Involved
Hi, how can I easily adjust those interchangeable anvils when they are out(it's a Mitutoyo set)? I can't find this information anywhere online, neither Mitutoyo booklet contains it.

Thanks in advance anvils.jpg

porcupine

Registered
Hi, how can I easily adjust those interchangeable anvils when they are out(it's a Mitutoyo set)? I can't find this information anywhere online, neither Mitutoyo booklet contains it.

Thanks in advance View attachment 29818
We have a few different styles. Most have a thumb screw on the anvil side of the mic and using that against the hex nut on the interchangeable anvil. If you can post a pic of the mic and anvils out of the box I can tell you if it is like ours.

porcupine

Registered
Mitutoyo 12-18"
there is a hex nut and a round portion with flats on either side on each anvil. you can adjust it by holding the round sided nut and breaking loose the hex then screwing it in(to make it shorter, if you were getting it to be more than zero) or out (to make longer if you were getting below zero when checked with standards).

amstel1

Starting to get Involved
Thanks, problem is that anvil always moves with the tightenings. I can loosen it easy, move it up or down, then when trying to tighten it it just moves the anvil. Like I need basically a third hand or a special tool to hold the anvil in place.
Maybe if I use vise to hold anvil and just play with the hex nut and the screw? Would that be a better method, or it just takes a lot of practice/experience/patience?

porcupine

Registered
Thanks, problem is that anvil always moves with the tightenings. I can loosen it easy, move it up or down, then when trying to tighten it it just moves the anvil. Like I need basically a third hand or a special tool to hold the anvil in place.
Maybe if I use vise to hold anvil and just play with the hex nut and the screw? Would that be a better method, or it just takes a lot of practice/experience/patience?
lol. I think a little of all that. Adjusting gages is usually an exercise in madness. you may need to work it in and out maybe with a bit of oil.

amstel1

Starting to get Involved
Dammit :D I adjust well those depth mic rods and they are pretty delicate, but these ones, which are bigger and seem easier are giving me a hard time.
Anyway, thanks for the quick reply. Cheers

Top Bottom