How to develop an Equipment / Machinery FMEA - Remember the key word: Predictive

C

cmkoay

How to develop a FMEA for equipment? Is it a process FMEA or product FMEA? or even concept FMEA and service FMEA? Is it related to reliability of the equipment or quality of the equipment? What is the difference?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
There are many, many types of FMEAs - for excample see Containment FMEA and GP-12 (GM procedure for early production containment) - all are essentially the same in format. The AIAG has their 'versions' for automotive but even if you look at a process FMEA - some folks use (as an example) a 1 to 5 rating system (the AIAG uses 1 to 10).

I suggest you see the FMEA files in the pdf_files directory. As I remember there's some info on equipment FMEAs there.

D

Dawn

I took a hit for predictive maintenace during assessment, and quite frankly my fix isn't turning out like I thought it would. I'm not sure anymore that it is a fix. I saw an article in Qality Progress on maintenance FMEA's and I was very impressed. My question is: Will it cover me come surveillance time on predictive maintenance. Does it meet the shall? I think it does, but you know what... I thought that before.
Thanks for any insight, Dawn

Marc

Leader
Originally posted by Dawn:
I took a hit for predictive maintenace during assessment, and quite frankly my fix isn't turning out like I thought it would. I'm not sure anymore that it is a fix.
Predictive maintenance is a hummer. There is a lot of opinion here. Do you have to do spectro analysis of oil of every machine (for example).

First, remember this is a QS9000 requirement (see 4.9.g.1). They do not list maintenance / equipment FMEAs, however I suppose you could cite same.

--> SUM Predictive maintenance methods - These methods should include a
--> review of appropriate items such as the manufacturer's
--> recommendations, tool wear, optimization of uptime, correlation of
--> SPC data to prevent maintenance activities, important
--> characteristics of perishable tooling, fluid analysis, infrared
--> monitoring of circuits and vibration analysis...

I have seen companies use their maintenance database to 'predict' problems. Ask your self how you decide what 'spares' to keep onsite and what equipment is critical to operations. For example, if you have a 'critical' machine, can you discuss possible breakdowns and how you will handle it? Do you have any extra motors on hand? Do you NEED to have extra motors on hand? When I go through a client facility I spend a bit of time asking about the spare machine and facility parts they have on hand. How did they decide to stock in-house what they have?

In the semiconductor industry I have seen more esoteric stuff like fluid analysis and such. I have never seen infrared monitoring of circuit cards. I have seen vibration analysis.

Remember the key word: Predictive

L

l_govindan

Equipment FMEA

Can someone help me to have a set of quiz questions on DFMEA, PFMEA and Equipment FMEA for self evaluations?

Thanks.

L. Govindan
Singapore

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
The Equipment FMEA is a specific version of FMEA. While the methodology is the same as any FMEA, the intent is different. See Quality Progress 1999 for the article "Old Tools - New Uses: Equipment FMEA".

B

barbt

Machinery FMEA

The AIAG does in fact publish a special guide called

"Potential Failure Mode and Effects Analysis for Tooling and Equipment:" Machinery FMEA

It doesn't differ in the way in which the FMEAS are structured or analysed, but the severity evaluation is more conducive to machinery than to a part or product.

This manual can be ordered from the AIAG.

Marc

Leader
Thanks for the heads up on the AIAG's Machinery FMEA manual. I wasn't aware of that one.

Top Bottom