SBS - The best value in QMS software

How to interpret AQL sampling tables

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
need guidance on interpretation of the sampling plan tables.

Background / Exclusions :-
* we operating Sample inspection level -II criteria ( thumb rule~ no questions asked on this! at this point of time)
* so viz., for 'lot size' of 3000, 'sample size code' is K
* so, we determine that the no. of samples is 125.
* Critical (0.065) - Major ( 0.25) - Other (1.5)
example for AQL table..https://elsmar.com/elsmarqualityforum/attachments/aqlchart-pdf.24029/

Q1. No. of samples to be selected.
option-1 :- as the AQL table indicates that for critical defects @ 0.065%, we require atleast 200 samples, we proceed to sample 200 and inspect for approving/rejecting
option-2:- as aql table is selected ( even though its an thumb rule at this point of time) we stick to 125 sample inspection for approving/rejecting

counter argument option-1 :- we can explain in certain instances, where more samples as worst case scenario, but same is not true for other scenarios, where samples required although higher, could lead to selection of first sample plan identified under the arrow.
counter argument option-2 :- this will lead to overkill of number of samples to be inspected for higher level of AQL. ( for major and others)..

Q2 :- so, is it acceptable to inspect different sample-sizes for different category of defects. ( viz., critical - major - others)

my opinion.,
different number of samples inspected for different category of defects ( or AQL levels) and we stick to the sample size determined by AQL ( subject to the option-1 only where it is extending the sample size)

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
Answer to Q1: The sample size is still 125. The accept on 0, Reject on 1 plan applies to all code letters from A through L.
Answer to Q2: No. The sample size is based on the lot size. AQL is based on the severity of the defect.
one follow through question, agree that lot size is variable, but when the aql varies among defect categories,
isn't it obvious that the OC curve to gain recommended confidence would require lesser samples. ( as the sample size is from oc curve, for a given lot size, rate of defects, aql, etc)

I've had a few discussions in the past about the interpretation of this table. It has always been my understanding that the whole sampling plan shifts up or down, otherwise what is the point of the arrows? The sampling plan includes the 3 elements (Sample Size, Ac and Re) and if we say that you don't change sample size, that means the table can be fully populated without needing arrows. This is not the case.

Also, initial sample size is based on lot size and if this doesn't change upwards with an arrow (for tighter AQLs), there will never be the situation where "If sample size equals, or exceeds, lot or batch size, do 100% inspection"....

David-D

Involved In Discussions
I'd like to support Toby's comment; the arrow should force a change to the sample size so it should now be 200, not 125. Sample sizes less than 200 are inadequate to demonstrate an 0.065 AQL. I dont have a copy of Z1.4 readily available but to quote MIL-STD-105E, paragraph 4.9.3:

"... When no sampling plan is available for a given combination of AQL and code letter, the tables direct the user to a different letter. The sample size to be used is given by the new code letter, not the original letter. ..."

MIL-STD-105 (though obsolete and canceled) is available free from the USG at:

https://quicksearch.dla.mil/qaDocDetails.aspx?ident_number=35496

David

David-D

Involved In Discussions
As an answer to question 2: Yes, you can have two different sample sizes, but you may shift the smaller sample sizes down to match the largest sample size (and get larger associated acc/rej quantities for those plans). To quote later in paragraph 4.9.3:

"... if this procedure leads to different sample sizes for different classes of defects, the code letter corresponding to the largest sample size derived may be used for all classes of defects. ..."

Going to larger sample sizes (farther down the table) results in more discriminating OC curves and reduced supplier and consumer risks (which is why going up is not acceptable).

David

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q How do you interpret this dimension in my drawing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Q IATF 16949 Cl. 4.4.1.2 - Product Safety - How to interpret IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
B How to interpret Grindometer Gage R&R Results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L How to interpret the average R bar Value shown in the R Chart Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
N How to interpret the definition of clinical and preclinical trials? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
K How to interpret Clause 7.6 for a service company? Service Industry Specific Topics 11
G Guidance Document to interpret IEC 60601-1 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P How to interpret statement like 'Maintain a Procedure' Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
S How to interpret a Linear Regression in Minitab? Using Minitab Software 3
Q How to read and interpret an SIPOC (Suppliers Inputs Process Outputs Customers) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Transport Vehicle Thermal Regulation - How would you interpret this requirement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A How to interpret Minitab Results? What is difference in Cpk and Ppk values? Using Minitab Software 2
C How to interpret Measurement Uncertainty (MU) Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
T Please help me interpret my GR&R results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Gage Bias and Linearity - How to interpret the Minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
F Gage R&R - How to interpret results? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
W MDR Reporting - How to interpret requirements for MDR Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
T SPC Data - Autocorrelation - How do I interpret this result? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
S Could someone tell me what are the results of a Gage R&R & how to interpret it? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D How to interpret TS Clause 7.5.1.4 Preventive and Predictive Maintenance? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
J How do you audit or interpret 'Where Appropriate' in ISO 9001 Clauses such as 7.4.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P How to Interpret Caliper GR&R (Gage R&R) Graphical Result Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D How do we interpret the following XmR Trend Chart data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
D How to interpret np chart data - Monitoring 6 medical records Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Q Looking for Case Studies for How to interpret the requirements of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
0 How to interpret s and x bar control charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
C CUSUM Chart - Can some one throw some light on use and how to interpret? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
Peter Fraser "Anither language" - I'll Interpret your 'Jargon' Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
K Gage R&R - How do I interpret the %PV & %TV results? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
N How should I interpret Voice of the Customer QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
S "Level of Control" over Suppliers - How do you Interpret and Accomplish Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
W LTPD, AQL, Ppk and Cpk validation sampling plan table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
R AQL, Consumer Risk and MA Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A AQL - How to count samples with defects for each defect class AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
T Defining sampling plan for different AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
S ARMY AQL - Requirements which don't have an AQL associated with them Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M AQL table - I need to sample 1250pcs AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
Nicole Desouza Sampling plan for a customer who wants AQL 1.0 (per ANSI Z1.4) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
A AQL sampling bags of parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
I Sampling processes - Who must define the AQL level? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
J AQL for Effectiveness Check - What AQL tiers to use on this type of sampling? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
S AQL Inspector's Rule - bring into CQE Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
N The question asks about sampling plans and AQL Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
K Defining Acceptance Quality Level, I need clarity on AQL 1.5, 2.5, 4.0 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
V Receiving Inspection AQL - Am I allowed to just pick a AQL? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
L Established a c=0 "AQL" or "RQL" table AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
A AQL Sampling Plan SOP / WI - Medical Device Industry Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
C Example Work Instruction/Procedure for AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
L How to calculate the Probability of Deficiency of the AQL of an Inspection AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 16