SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

IATF 16949 M&TE Laboratory scope

Hi all, during last IATF audit, our auditor identified that our M & TE lab scope (created several years ago) did not refer to any national standards with regards to internal verification or usage of M & TE. The Lab Scope in it's current form includes M & TE called out on our Quality Plan but also includes numerous other M & TE in-house but not used in mass production. These "other" M & TE might only be used by R & D or in some sort of investigative fashion. Since IATF primarily focuses on Mas Pro requirements (Quality Plans, etc.) should we/can we remove the M & TE items not listed on our Mass Pro Quality Documentation? I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

malasuerte

Involved In Discussions
Just to clarify, Are you Design responsible?

Regardless, I guess I would ask what is the problem you would like to solve here?

It seems you are asking to remove the requirements/documentation for equipment used in R&D? Why? That doesn't sound like it solves a problem.

However, the idea that M&TE for design is not subject to the standard or as you say "focuses on Mas pro....", does not seem right. It seems, any M&TE used would be in scope. Although, some equip. could be "For Reference Only".

Hence, I don't think it would be correct to just 'scope out' the equip. used on the R&D side of the house.

----------

Ok...Now I will take a stab at what may be the actual problem. Problem Statement: In the audit, a non-conformance was written because the lab scope did not reference the standards used by your labs. Is this correct?

If so, why don't you just revise the Lab Scope to provide how M&TE 'aligns' to some sort of standard? The problem is not a HVM vs.. R&D - it is simply that the scope statement doesn't explain what standards are used.

71531 says "...national or international standard...OR....the organization shall define...."

Thanks for responding. We are not design responsible. Many IATF auditors are currently scrutinizing the compliance of Lab Scopes to the 17025 standard. Previous years that has not been the case as much. Most 17025 compliant labs are independent testing or calibration labs. Our internal lab is merely to support the manufacturing processes within our facility. The IATF standard normally addresses M & TE that is used to verify manufactured parts compliance to specifications. These M & TE are identified on the Quality Control Plan which is the "procedure" on how to manufacture good parts. R&D M & TE is not used to verify Mass Production parts. If R & D has a particular test that they have designed it may not necessarily match an ASTM or other standardized test method, therefore it is difficult to identify a standard as matching the particular test. We are merely trying to have a lab scope to satisfy the IATF standard but is not inclusive of unnecessary documentation. If you identify an ASTM or similar standard on your scope you must have the standard which can get extremely costly. There are no problems with who we use for calibrations....all are 17025 accreduted.

malasuerte

Involved In Discussions
Thanks for responding. We are not design responsible. Many IATF auditors are currently scrutinizing the compliance of Lab Scopes to the 17025 standard. Previous years that has not been the case as much. Most 17025 compliant labs are independent testing or calibration labs. Our internal lab is merely to support the manufacturing processes within our facility. The IATF standard normally addresses M & TE that is used to verify manufactured parts compliance to specifications. These M & TE are identified on the Quality Control Plan which is the "procedure" on how to manufacture good parts. R&D M & TE is not used to verify Mass Production parts. If R & D has a particular test that they have designed it may not necessarily match an ASTM or other standardized test method, therefore it is difficult to identify a standard as matching the particular test. We are merely trying to have a lab scope to satisfy the IATF standard but is not inclusive of unnecessary documentation. If you identify an ASTM or similar standard on your scope you must have the standard which can get extremely costly. There are no problems with who we use for calibrations....all are 17025 accreduted.

Sorry....I may be confusing things here. The clause is pretty clear; it is one of the better clauses detailing what is required. The auditor "scrutinizing" the Lab scope is irrelevant. The requirements are clear and in 'D' it clearly states the options. Your Internal Lab does not need to be 17025 compliant; however, if it is not, you must have the documentation of your methodology and of course, it needs to make sense.

An organization's internal laboratory facility shall have defined scope that includes its capability to perform the required inspection, test, or calibration services. This laboratory scope shall be included in the quality management system documentation. The laboratory shall specify and implement, as minimum, requirements for:
a) adequacy of the laboratory technical procedures;
b) competency of the laboratory personnel;
c) testing of the product;
d) capability to perform these services correctly, traceable to the relevant process standard (such as ASTM, EN, etc.) when no national or international standard(s) is available, the organization shall define and implement a methodology to verify measurement system capability;
e) customer requirements, if any;
f) review of related records.

I go back to the problem statement as I understand it. Your Scope statement does not meet the requirements. FYI: It also sounds like you are confusing the word "Scope", because you say "the Lab Scope in it's current form includes M & TE called out on our Quality Plan but also includes numerous other M & TE in-house but not used in mass production."

The clause tells you what the Scope statement needs to be. It's not about what equipment you have or use....you certainly could add that.

I apologize if I am missing things....but here is what I would have for your Lab Scope as an example:

The company xxx internal lab provides inspection, test and calibration services for all M&TE equipment used in the "mass production" of company xxx products.

The labs capability to perform the required inspection, test or calibration services are assured through:
  • our technical procedures which have been written by technical experts and benchmarked against industry standards
  • education, on-the-job training, experience and continuing development of all lab personnel
  • appropriate testings requirements for product as outlined in Spec 0000000XXX
  • initial and continual capability studies to verify measurement system capability as defined in Spec 1111111XXX
  • all customer requirements are documented and addressed where applicable
  • etc
  • etc
  • etc
Anyways...something like that...that is off the top of my head while eating a messy sandwich. :)

hope that helps...looking forward to your response.

No, what you state makes sense to me. Whoever constructed our scope numerous years ago included items like "Straight Edge" and "123 blocks" which I have never seen listed as M & TE before (and is certainly not on the Quality Plan or used for Mass Pro inspection). I want to remove all irrelevant items (those not utilized to measure or determine ok/ng of mass production and also not on Quality Plans) but my colleagues/supervisors are thinking that we should keep scope as is and try to identify standards or work instructions to qualify every single item on the scope. I absolutely want to meet the standard but why spend money and energy for extra documentation? My bosses think we will be compliant in the eyes of the IATF auditor if we only connect WIs and standards to Mass Pro gaging but leave other items (123 blocks) on scope without standards or WIs. I think the auditor will say All items listed on the scope must meet the bullet points you identified above.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Casana IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - On Site Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - Calibration of Nikon machine in factory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
B IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 FAQ #7 Audit Finding - External Calibration Laboratory IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
sswaim IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Calibration Laboratory Requirelents IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
J IATF 16949 Calibration Laboratory Scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
H Internal laboratory scope requirements - IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.3.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B IATF 16949 - 7.1.5.3.1 Internal calibration laboratory requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.3.2 - External Laboratory Sub-Supplier Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T IATF 16949 Recording inspection results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S IATF 16949 Supplier selection criteria 8.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q ISO 9001/IATF 16949 Audit Finding Question - Document Retention IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 5
D Bulk Materials (Greases) and IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
S IATF 16949 Internal Audit Example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
B Remote IATF 16949 audit preparation General Auditing Discussions 10
R IATF 16949 Certification for new site with transferred product--what is the impact with CSR and scorecards? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B IATF 16949 Cert Expire- New certification body IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M IATF 16949 - Audit of Remote Location/Support Site and IT IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
O Informational Ford Motor Company Customer Specific Requirements for IATF 16949:2016 - 08 Jan 2021 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
B Updated IATF 16949 - Will IATF 16949 get revised when ISO 9001:202X is released? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
O Release of Sanctioned Interpretations (SIs) related to Rules 5th Edition and Sanctioned Interpretations related to IATF 16949:2016 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
S Thoughts on managing ISO 9001, 13485, IATF 16949 and 17025 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R IATF 16949 - Outsourcing of internal audits Internal Auditing 11
eule del ayre Documented Information - Periodic Review of Documents? IATF 16949:2016 / ISO 9001:2015 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 34
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
L IATF 16949 certification costs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
B IATF 16949 News Six month extension on all valid IATF 16949 certs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
earl62 IATF 16949 Clause 9.1.1.1 - What is the batch conformance to specification method? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B FCA US IATF 16949 Customer Requirements updates Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D IATF 16949 Requirement for CMMI in a Global Company Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S Definition of "worldwide" in view of IATF 16949 and Product conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Document "Correspondence IATF 16949 vs ISO13485" available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
H Remote product audits in Coivd-19 - IATF 16949 9.2.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S IATF 16949 - Partial traceability of Aftermarket products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
C Industrial scales and MSA (IATF 16949 requirement 7.1.5.1.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
V Generic IATF 16949 Audit Checklist wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Postpone IATF 16949 audit due to COVID-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 41
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7