Ideas for developing a Supplier Quality Management System, non automotive

Thomas Dorner

Starting to get Involved
Hi,

I would like to get your input for a project I have to run at work - Developing a Supplier Quality Management System.
In our company, we have an existing Supply Chain, which "takes care" about supplier issues. From the quality perspective, we distributing only band aids.

I have in mind something like, Supplier development.

Would like to establish - supplier assessments, supplier audits, scorecards etc., but would really like your help/input/comments to this, which will definitely help to create a presentation, which, I hope, will finally get the support from management and results in a long term project.

Please every remark is very welcome to this topic. Speaking about topic - I hope the forum is the right one.

Thank you and stay safe,
Thomas

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi, Thomas,

Here's our Supplier Management Procedure. We're not currently distributing performance reports to our suppliers - that's something I'm working on now. Our company is aerospace tooling design and manufacture - but hopefully browsing our process will be helpful to you.

Attachments

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hi,

I would like to get your input for a project I have to run at work - Developing a Supplier Quality Management System.
In our company, we have an existing Supply Chain, which "takes care" about supplier issues. From the quality perspective, we distributing only band aids.

I have in mind something like, Supplier development.

Would like to establish - supplier assessments, supplier audits, scorecards etc., but would really like your help/input/comments to this, which will definitely help to create a presentation, which, I hope, will finally get the support from management and results in a long term project.

Please every remark is very welcome to this topic. Speaking about topic - I hope the forum is the right one.

Thank you and stay safe,
Thomas
What are your primary concerns? Are there recurring problems that you think might be helped by a dedicated effort? When you devise a plan, you need to take specific goals into account, and developing goals will tell you much of what you need to do. From my own experience, I can tell you that many companies do these things because other companies do them, and using scorecards and audits and other such tools rarely do any good. If your suppliers are ISO 9001 (or anything else) registered, they're already being audited, and supplier audits shouldn't be done by people who don't have experience in the supplier processes being audited. I don't want to discourage you, but you need to be sure that the effort that you put into a supplier development program can have measure able results.

Thomas Dorner

Starting to get Involved
What are your primary concerns? Are there recurring problems that you think might be helped by a dedicated effort? When you devise a plan, you need to take specific goals into account, and developing goals will tell you much of what you need to do. From my own experience, I can tell you that many companies do these things because other companies do them, and using scorecards and audits and other such tools rarely do any good. If your suppliers are ISO 9001 (or anything else) registered, they're already being audited, and supplier audits shouldn't be done by people who don't have experience in the supplier processes being audited. I don't want to discourage you, but you need to be sure that the effort that you put into a supplier development program can have measure able results.
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that suppliers that are ISO certified don't need to be audited in general. We have companies in our supplier base that are ranging from a workshop up to certified (by ISO 9001, ISO 13485 etc.).

I have the idea to classify our supply base by criticality. Like A=most critical to business down to D=less. Then to focus on A and B suppliers.
I feel pretty confident to audit companies, workshops and even ISO certified companies (I am a certified principal auditor).

But, in my experience, even companies they claim to be ISO certified they have issues within supply chain (late shipments, less quality etc.). ISO certified doesn't necessarily mean that you will have always good quality products, what I learned over the past, you can assume to a higher percentage you will get higher and more consistent quality.

Since we are rapidly growing, the idea why we want to establish a SQM, we would like to minimize our efforts and resources in receiving inspection and working with a supply base that we can trust to get good quality. Now we are just reacting instead of being proactive.

I just would like to know what are typical modules for a SQM, what is widely commonly used.

Thank you,
Thomas

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Since we are rapidly growing, the idea why we want to establish a SQM, we would like to minimize our efforts and resources in receiving inspection and working with a supply base that we can trust to get good quality. Now we are just reacting instead of being proactive.

I just would like to know what are typical modules for a SQM, what is widely commonly used.

Thomas
Reducing the need for incoming inspection is a good goal. I'll say again, though, that you should not assume that what others are doing is what you should be doing. There is a lot of wasted effort in supplier management programs. I worked as a supplier development engineer for a large vehicle manufacturer that had a significant emphasis on supplier qualification audits. People who, in the main, didn't know what they were looking at were dispatched around the country and the globe doing audits. I asked the person in charge of all of this whether, after having done these audits for a few years, there was evidence that suppliers qualified via audits performed better than those who had not been audited before the practice began. There was no evidence. They did it because everyone else did it.

Decide what needs to be improved, and work with your suppliers to help (when appropriate) in the improvement effort.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AnaMariaVR2 Developing Innovative Ideas for New Companies: free course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
M Production approval testing - Alternative ideas for Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
O Inventory control ideas - I have an open stock room with a "sign out" book Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
Ed Panek Ideas to keep quotes for consulting service accurate on not inflated Consultants and Consulting 11
B Practical ideas for information labelling in healthcare environment IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
F Ideas for brewery poka-yoke system - Labels that are glued to a bottle Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D Error proofing ideas sheet metal punches Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
D Ideas for Poka Yoke or Improvement - Aluminum FOD in Assembly Customer Complaints 3
K Looking for Calibrated Tool Shadowboard Substrate Ideas AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
J ISO 17025 Guide and Ideas for a New Calibration Business ISO 17025 related Discussions 18
G Process for Product Safety - Ideas for Documenting Process for 4.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Sean Kelley New Catchy Quality Policy Ideas Wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
P Need ideas on managing Shelf Life Studies within an organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Need ideas on Synchronization of Processes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
D ISO/IEC 17025 Implementation Workshop Ideas ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
B Share ideas to make Management Review more interesting Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4
K Product Ideas for Manufacturing Startup Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Gman2 Scope Ideas? Can our scope contain bullets? Example inside. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Ideas for an Open Source Calibration Database Software Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
T UK Quality Engineering Courses - Your ideas please Career and Occupation Discussions 3
9 Ideas for reducing Human Error during Order Receipt Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
B Starting a small boutique and looking for business ideas Career and Occupation Discussions 8
S Ideas on QA/RA Company Magazine Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
A "Refreshing" a Company Ideas scheme Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
C Ideas on Implementing Lean and 5S Methods Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
B Need ideas for a friendly bet - Year-end food drive Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
L Working closer and better with Suppliers - Practical ideas to improve? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
K Looking for Ideas to Track Customer Requests and PPAP Data Packages APQP and PPAP 4
F Quality Awareness Sessions - Seeking Ideas and Presentation Material Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
A Request for Daily Talking Point and Meeting Ideas Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
A R&D Design Control - Ideas to Improve the Quality of Drawings Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
T Quality Control System Ideas to stream line the PPAP Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Ideas, Measures/Metrics for making Quality Proactive? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
I Looking for Ideas/Tips for Management Review Meeting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
B Ideas on how to differentiate jobs (AS9100 jobs vs. "commercial" jobs) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
T Let's share ideas about an inspection problem.... Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
I Any Ideas To Define The Root Cause of Corrosion Issue? Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
P Scorecard Data Forged - Ideas Please Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
Y Ideas of interactive exercises for a Quality Training (ISO 13485) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
J Keeping Milk for Domestic Consumption Fresh - - Ideas? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 33
Chennaiite Product Release Risk Assessment - Ideas Wanted Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
A Sustainability 101 Training Ideas and Presentation Materials wanted Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
smryan Seeking Conference Room Name Ideas Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 41
A Seeking Views and Ideas on Procedure related to Project Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T Concept Process FMEA examples and ideas wanted FMEA and Control Plans 1
J Would like to remodel our QA Layout Laboratory - Your ideas appreciated Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C Management Of Change System or Software - Recommendations and Ideas wanted After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
P Floor Supervisor End of Shift Report ideas and/or template wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Operator Station Inspection Training Materials and Ideas wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
Q APQP Compliance Internal Audit - Ideas, check lists or main questions to prepare APQP and PPAP 9