Identification and Control of External Documents - 4.4.5 f) of ISO 14001

T

tigerfan51

Section 4.4.5 of ISO 14001 requires identification and control of external documents, necessary for the planning and operation of the system.

One type of external document that often requires control is instrument calibration procedures.

Can any Covers provide additional examples of external documents that should be controlled within an EMS?

S

samsung

Re: Controlled External Documents

Section 4.4.5 of ISO 14001 requires identification and control of external documents, necessary for the planning and operation of the system.

One type of external document that often requires control is instrument calibration procedures.

Can any Covers provide additional examples of external documents that should be controlled within an EMS?

Other examples of documents of external origin are:

1. Suppliers/ OEM manuals (Operation & maintenance) that guides the operators as to how the equipment need to be operated and maintained to achieve optimal level of efficiency.
2. Various guidelines specifically related to prevention of pollution issued by the regulatory agencies/ industry associations
3. Various legal permits/ consent orders/ authorizations etc. that prescribe specific requirements to be met or the standards/ specifications to be achieved. Since these requirements are subject to change, these documents must be covered under document control.
4.Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
5. Standards/ Standard Test procedures issued by national/ international standard bodies
6. Environmental Rules/ regulations enacted by local/ provincial or federal governmental authorities

Likewise you can think of many such documents that may require certain controls.

T

tigerfan51

Samsung - thanks for your input.

I didn't express my original question very well.

What I meant was - what external documents normally require control, other than regulatory documents. Clause 4.3.2 already imposes requirements to identify and keep regulatory requirements up to date. Operating approvals/permits are probably most appropriately characterized as records and again most organizations have measures in place to manage their regulatory approvals.

MSDS sheets, industry association guidelines and regulatory guidelines are good examples.

A

amanbhai

What do we mean by control, in ISO 14001?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

samsung

Samsung - thanks for your input.

I didn't express my original question very well.

What I meant was - what external documents normally require control, other than regulatory documents. Clause 4.3.2 already imposes requirements to identify and keep regulatory requirements up to date. Operating approvals/permits are probably most appropriately characterized as records and again most organizations have measures in place to manage their regulatory approvals.

MSDS sheets, industry association guidelines and regulatory guidelines are good examples.

Yes, you are right. Organizations have measures in place to manage the legal approvals etc. but in my opinion, these approvals as well as rules and regulations are dynamic documents and subject to changes and as such these should also be controlled (version & distribution). e.g. I have seen repeated changes in the environmental permits we obtained for plant operation. The regulatory agencies amended the same permit twice during last quarter through their letters/emails and circulars. Secondly, these permissions are subject to renewal after a certain time period (e.g. 1-3 years) and what I see is every time the permission is renewed either some new requirements are added or the existing ones amended. So, if some sort of controls (other than meeting the requirements of 4.3.2) is exercised, it would be beneficial.

One more example that can be added to the list is Plant layout (showing emission outlets, waste storage sites, landfills etc.) and equipment drawings (especially the ones concerning control on pollution).

Thanks.

S

samsung

What do we mean by control, in ISO 14001?

It's same as in ISO 9001 (4.2.3). Controlling the documents of external origin means regulating the issue, tracking changes, distribution, use, storage, obsolescence etc. Although all the requirements concerning document control may not apply in some cases yet one should control the distribution, use and amendment of external documents by specifying which versions of external documents are to be used and invalid or obsolete external documents are removed from use and declared obsolete.

Secondly, the procedure for document (of external origin) control should also have provision for approval, not in the literary sense as it applies to internal documents but somehow there should be a system of review prior to distribution/release of documents for use.

Top Bottom