Definition IDENTIFY and DETERMINE - What is the technical difference between the words

N

Nadeem A.

Hi All,

Can any one would like to comment on the difference between the word "Identify" and "Determine".

The word determination has NOT been defined in the version ISO 9000:2000, page 30. I don't know about the latest version whether they have given the definition of the word "determine".

Thanks for the inputs.

Regards,

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: What is the technical difference between the word "IDENTIFY" and "DETERMINE"?

Hi All,

Can any one would like to comment on the difference between the word "Identify" and "Determine".

The word determination has NOT been defined in the version ISO 9000:2000, page 30. I don't know about the latest version whether they have given the definition of the word "determine".

Thanks for the inputs.

Regards,
A very good question Nadeem.
DETERMINE is perhaps the higher level of decision making. You choose what suits you best here.
IDENTIFY is perhaps a lower level of decision making. You choose what you want from a limited options.

I am sure more people will come up with varied views.

Big Jim

Admin
Re: What is the technical difference between the word "IDENTIFY" and "DETERMINE"?

The following is from Howste's comparison of AS9100B to AS9100C. This comparison includes the changes from ISO 9001:2000 to ISO 9001:2008. Your question looks like it may be referring to the change in 4.1 in ISO 9001:2008.

ISO 9001:2008 adds minor clarifications in this clause. “Determine the processes” replaces “identify the processes.” Determine is a more proactive word implying analysis and decision, rather than just discovery.

I hope this helps.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource

The following is from Howste's comparison of AS9100B to AS9100C. This comparison includes the changes from ISO 9001:2000 to ISO 9001:2008. Your question looks like it may be referring to the change in 4.1 in ISO 9001:2008.

ISO 9001:2008 adds minor clarifications in this clause. “Determine the processes” replaces “identify the processes.” Determine is a more proactive word implying analysis and decision, rather than just discovery.

I hope this helps.

I was just going to say that... :notme:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

I hope this helps.

This is what some poor misguided TC176 member thought and somehow manged to get his counterparts to go along with it, probably because they felt like they needed to change something. In reality, there is no significant difference between the two words.

Randy

Super Moderator

Hi All,

Thanks for the inputs.

Regards,

As intended, nothing...synonymous words in this case. If you don't like either try using "find out", "figure out", "lock down", "come up with a way" or something else of that nature.

N

Nadeem A.

Thanks All for your comments and providing link.

The good thing is there won't be much difference in the practical essence. But, for transition to ISO 9001:2008, the manual shall comply with the 2008 lingos.

Top Bottom