Implementing ISO 9001:2008 - Where to Start?

AndyN

Moved On
I will give up my job and move to Australia to personally assist you!

Please send a check for $1M US, payable to........ to the following address.......

:lmao::lmao::bigwave:

N

neelu

My strategy based some consultancy work and audits would be as follows:
1. Get thorough with standard to start with-a tarining programme including a 5day Lead Assessor programme will be useful. Books also can be referred to.
2. Since you are apparently an insider, you are already thorough with all the processes in the orgn.; otherwise spend some time to identify(determine now!) various processes-a flow diagram in each process area will be ideal.
3. Having understood the processes and their sequence and interaction, choose one process(preferably production/service delivery process) and try to find out in that process, details such as rejection,rework/reprocess in that area. Coose at least one such nonconformance requiring rejection,rework etc and try to find out how much can be saved (in money terms) by attacking the problem and by finding a solution to the problem. With this home work, address the process owners tell them about the home work you did and how this work is related to ISO 9001 (clause 8.3,8.5.1,8.5.2). Ask them to determine all such areas in their respective processes and try attempting corrective action(leading to improvement). Ask them also to start collecting some performance data relating to each process(if not already being done),as this would help in determining a benchmark for each process and then proposing quality objectives.You can also design a proforma for reporting nonconformance and taking correction/corrective action.
I have a particular reason for suggesting this approach, because based on my experience, weakest areas in SMEs have been corrective action process and setting effective quality objectives. If you can show the management and your colleagues that ISO 9001, you can draw economic benefits( I am not talking about the benefit due to marketing edge if any), you can rest assured that you have the top management support and also conviction of your colleagues.
4. Having got Step 3 in operation, you can proceed further as others suggested.
GOOD LUCK!!

X

xavierFR

I will give up my job and move to Australia to personally assist you!

Please send a check for $1M US, payable to........ to the following address.......

:lmao::lmao::bigwave:

Don't give up AndyN!! We Need you here!

Ok, that's why I scent the need to talk more about the company. Your post, Neelu, is really interested but I think you could only apply your steps in very unusual (perfect?!) environment. When you talk about performance data, in my structure they don't (I won't say they can't!) consider the interest to just fill out a delivery form. Even their timesheets arrived not filled properly, even the team leaders don't bring back the diaries forms.

So let me describe a little more the company:

5 people on office - 80 people on site - 10 sites - 7 team leaders - 1 coffe machine
(just this will give you an idea, AndyN, tell to yours simleys to stop to laugh, we talk seriously now, :-D)

The Worst? the job is done well, stable medium high quality, but such structure will need soon a better monitoring cause the economy even in Australia is not eternal. But also, If we want keep expanding as the whole 7 years, we have to reach market as public or gouvernment tenders and projects, army projects, industrial harbour. That's why we are interested by such improvment project as a QMS. From the new employee induction to a improved monitoring (from real field's data) will be great!

Arfff... I am dreaming about, I can see it working... make people happy... taking off their cloth... OUPS

I am glad to be just read amd I wish have more feedback to talk about. I am ready for any debat! thank you everyone, moderators.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JaneB

Xavier, you're describing a fairly typical scenario - and recognising that continued expanion into public/govt tenders etc. will usually require or insist on (or at the very least strongly prefer) certification.

Unless you have already, my advice would be to get yourself some training in the relevant Standard. I would not advise you do a '5-day Lead Auditor course' - I don't understand why people advise that to people involved in implementation, as I've done it twice (with 2 different providers) and I do not see that it will help anyone at all with an implementation project, especially at this early stage. Later down the track? Yes, perhaps. Definitely not now though - its purpose is quite different.

I can recommend some specific courses if you PM me, but essentially I'd recommend those on understanding ISO 9001.

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Xavier,
Some pointers to share..
1. Prior buying the ISO9001 standard requirement you also need to educate yourself and the rest of the management team what is ISO all about. The Documentation process and internal / external auditing course for ISO. Or you can also hire somebody that can setup the system for you...
2. Access Database is good, Once you created the database and encoded all information, i.e. document masterlist, etc. extracting the information into the system is easy. Access is available for Business Edition of MS Office (For newer version, 2003 - 2007). But for older version like Office 97- Office 2000, Access is included.
3. Buying a good book is important that will serve as reference, I make used Quality Management System Handbook by David Hoyle, I also read the Quality Handbook by Juran, the ISO 9000 Handbook...
4 After attending or educated yourself in the requirements of ISO, you can create a Gap Analysis between the requirement versus for what you have. Mapping the processes is good decision because you want to study the detailed step of the process, continue this.
Make the org chart simple, a matrix can be deployed (but tthis is also depends on the number of managers, middle managers and executive managers... ).
A Process Map to identify the center of the business.
5. Read, review and analyze
6. Please find time to relax, always remember "stress kills"...when tired have a break and sleep so that on the next day everything is fresh.
But in my experience, Stress eats me because I was hospitalized after our TS Certification, about two years ago...lesson learned - DON'T LET STRESS EAT YOU....
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
raffy

X

xavierFR

Thank you JaneB, Raffy, readers.

So apparently I am on good track.

I react to your posts.

The Documentation process and internal / external auditing course for ISO
So I agree this it's necessary to improve the analysis. External is it for suppliers and subcontractors? We must do the best at the begining, right.

my advice would be to get yourself some training in the relevant Standard
everyone meets this point. I agree that 5 days to start couldn't be really efficient. Start slowly but surely.

My fear is not really be unable to map the different processes or fail the pedagogy too because as I explained previously, I am convinced about QMS and also I must say I ve got the oral skills (less in english, worst in North Queensland... JaneB;)), to maintain the interest of such improvment projects.
Both could explain why this boss trusts me (after a trial period on site! :frust:)and we signed for this role whereas I am a fresh graduated mechanical project engineer.

When I think that I came to apply for a team leaders assistant position:agree: Anyway...

I think I will be able to interprete the different paragraphs of the Requirements and try to elaborate the process (activity, record, control...) in accordance with the exptectation. (able with all resources as this forum, books, this forum and also elsmar forum.)

So my fear is to elaborate all the different documents, with pragmatism, effectiveness, regardless the skills of anyone. It will take a long time. The main issue will be at the same time convince them (team leaders) to use it. I will use the data collected about their job on site to show indicators, hoping encouraging them. When I see the quantity of QA forms created, the low number coming back filled properly in adequation with the high number of concrete products made (even with a good quality, visual, mecanical).

So to keep feeding this interesting post I would be attracted to ask you how, materially, you organise all these documents? old, new, templates

Allez! come on! tell me a little bit... folders classified by categories? forms, instructions, manual, processes. Or maybe by processes (easier to refer with manual, no?). or a database? I start it and love it!

Maybe It will be off the topic! :eek::whip:

Thank everyone

Top Bottom