Include These Processes??

S

Steven Truchon

Is anyone including I.T. and/or Accounting (paper trail of material receipts, PO and invoicing etc., that happens through an accounting department) in the definition and interactions of processes?
We have approximately 75% paperless system which makes me lean toward including I.T., but the accounting aspect would not have any impact on product quality or customer satisfaction IMO.

What are some thoughts, directions, practices on this out in the real world??

Thanks!!
Steve

S

Sam

During our certification audit it was "suggested" that we add accounting to the COP's list. The auditor mention something about pertaining to customer satisfaction possibly relating to invoicing errors on our part.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
We are as far as those processes might affect customer satisfaction. And of course, they do. Also, a lot of the financial stuff is used for monitoring, measurement and analysis. Now, I am in no way asking for our financials to be reviewed in depth as a part of ISO, but those that could affect the customer's perception (invoiced wrong, customer upset) of us definitely!

R

Randy Stewart

We're doing it all. We have found that if Admin isn't included they will come up with some type of document (i.e. charge back notifications) that hit the floor with a different type of logo, etc. With all the emphasis on Internal Controls now we have integrated "all" processes into our Operations System.
It was too bad except that we now do Internal Control audits (process reviews) also. :rolleyes:

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Both IT and accounting are support processes for the other QMS processes. I believe that IT should definitely be included. Document control, records, internal and external communication, etc. are very dependent on the effectiveness of IT now. I also agree with the statements above about accounting. They do have an influence on customer satisfaction, and provide inputs to other quality system processes.

D

db

howste said:
Both IT and accounting are support processes for the other QMS processes. I believe that IT should definitely be included. Document control, records, internal and external communication, etc. are very dependent on the effectiveness of IT now. I also agree with the statements above about accounting. They do have an influence on customer satisfaction, and provide inputs to other quality system processes.

I would agree, unless IT has no role in the QMS. I work with a company that has an IT department, but the QMS is entirely on paper, and there are no electronic copies of anything. Of course that brings up the question of why have an IT

Yes, both.

IT can certainly affect customer satisfaction. How many orders can you input to or ship from your company if the network is shut down or you can't log into your Enterprise Management Software? If you have ever handled an irate phone call from a customer because his order is late, because Finance didn't cash his check, so they put him on credit hold, you know Finance is involved as well.

S

Steven Truchon

Thanks everyone for the input. You've confirmed what I thought to be correct. To some folks in the organization there seems to be an almost over-protective posture when considering the inclusion of these two areas, but thats another battlefield (LOL).
Thanks again!
Steve
:thedeal:

Top Bottom