Interpretation of phrase - "Direct Authority"

G

GaryBC

Hi guys

I've come across a phrase which I'd like some clarity on....

"The ... Manager is responsible, under the direct authority of the Accountable Manager, for ensuring that ....".

When it says "under the direct authority of" does it mean that this role has to report directly to the Accountable Manager? Or can they report to someone else but maintain a 'dotted line' to the Accountable Manager?

Thanks,
Gary

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
At least the military model would be - if the "Accountable Manager" says to the "Manager" "JUMP!" the response by the "Manager" should be "How High?" not - well I've got to check with . . .

G

GaryBC

At least the military model would be - if the "Accountable Manager" says to the "Manager" "JUMP!" the response by the "Manager" should be "How High?" not - well I've got to check with . . .

Thankfully I'm not in the military!

G

GaryBC

Thanks to Steve for the humorous aside, but it's a genuine question for which I'd like to find an informed interpretation!

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hi guys

I've come across a phrase which I'd like some clarity on....

"The ... Manager is responsible, under the direct authority of the Accountable Manager, for ensuring that ....".

When it says "under the direct authority of" does it mean that this role has to report directly to the Accountable Manager? Or can they report to someone else but maintain a 'dotted line' to the Accountable Manager?

Thanks,
Gary
The line is established. No ambiguity
Someone is accountable and so has the authority. This is not shared
The delegation is to a responsible manager to accomplish.
Reporting is a simple straight line

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks to Steve for the humorous aside, but it's a genuine question for which I'd like to find an informed interpretation!

Yes, I used a little humor, but the point (as also made by Someshakar) is the a person under direct authority basically takes direction from that person, and doesn't have to ask other managers for permission to follow the action. "Direct Authority" usually also implies that that person does the performance evals, hire/fire decision, pay decisions for the person under "direct authority".

Dotted line relationships would generally not be considered "direct authority".

Top Bottom