Interpreter needed for Taiwan manufacturing site?

phxsun2001

Involved - Posts
One of our client has a manufacturing site in Taiwan that needs to be audited. Is there a requirement to use an interpreter if we send an US Auditor who cannot speak Mandarin? I believe there is a new requirement started three years ago about this. I do not speak Spanish and 2/3 of my clients were in Mexico. I could not audit in Mexico all by myself anymore unless I go with an interpreter. I cannot find this requirement anywhere.

SeanN

Involved In Discussions
Why don't you check with them before you go there to ensure (the general requirement) that "the choice of language should be agreed upon in advance"?
I had business partners in Taiwan and had never experienced language barriers doing business with them. Taiwanese people who work for international companies are generally very well educated. It's a developed territory and, same as HK, their English skills are better off than in most of other East Asian countries (probably second to Singapore and only). Not sure what ISO you're talking about, but this issue should be under Clause "Communication" or such.

phxsun2001

Involved - Posts
Management and Engineers speak English in Taiwan and Asia, but not the hourly and production staffs. A lot of the lower level work instruction, signs, labels and prints are not in English. I know for a fact that AS9100 Auditors auditing in Mecico needs to be able to speak Spanish. That was from one of the major registrar. They started hiring more spanish speaking Auditors three years ago auditing Mexico sites. We were told during the annual training that it was a new requirement three years ago.

Top Bottom